Bad ride quality with new springs

Hello everyone, a month ago I installed some Eibach pro kit lowering springs on our 95 GT convertible, the ride is now very harsh and makes the car feel like an old piece of junk. The car has new shocks on the back but the struts on the front look like they have been on the car for a while. I read somewhere that new struts should help a bit. The one's I am looking at are Tokicos, thoughts or opinions are very welcomed.

http://www.brothersperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_11_46/products_id/1768

• Sponsors (?)

If the junky ride occurs while hitting bumps, the struts should help.

I run the Prokit and HP's and like the ride, though it is a little harsh (nothing out of line but some people apparently are surprised that a lowered car doesnt ride like a Caddy).

Good luck.

No I'm not expecting Cadillac ride quality out of my car now:rlaugh: , it is just strange to me that it rode better with cut stockers than it does now. The car just rides terrible now when going down bumpy roads, on smooth roads and highways it feels fine. :shrug:

Poka, what did you find to work with your aftermarket springs that was less harsh?

On a street car that sees normal crappy roads, you need agressive valving to accomodate the shortened spring (esp since quite a few springs are not rated as high as they really could/should be)

Also order a new bump stop or pinion snubber.What ever you wana call it.My vert rode very harsh after lowering it with a pro kit and Mach 1 shocks and struts.I cut about 2" off the factory bump stop and it still took bumps badly.I discovered that it was still close to the rear end at ride hight and hit on small bumps.Once replaced it rides great now.

Also order a new bump stop or pinion snubber.What ever you wana call it.My vert rode very harsh after lowering it with a pro kit and Mach 1 shocks and struts.I cut about 2" off the factory bump stop and it still took bumps badly.I discovered that it was still close to the rear end at ride hight and hit on small bumps.Once replaced it rides great now.

My springs came with a small pinion snubber to bolt in to replace the factory snubber, thanks though.

Poka, what did you find to work with your aftermarket springs that was less harsh?

On a street car that sees normal crappy roads, you need agressive valving to accomodate the shortened spring (esp since quite a few springs are not rated as high as they really could/should be)

Stock / oem style with the eibach pro kit and the ride was AWESOME and handled very well. After slamming into the back of an suv because my breaks werent up to snuff, I thought I'd better up the anty with shocks that hold the tire better to the road..so I bought the blue tokos. I cant say they do ANYTHING better for my car and have no way to prove it.

Hissin can you please explain what it means to have aggressive valving? Does that mean better ride? Am I getting anything out of my tokos but dont know it? Why the harser ride? Last..Could I put back the oem style front struts and keep the rear tokos? Or is that a bad idea? :shrug: thks.

Stock / oem style with the eibach pro kit and the ride was AWESOME and handled very well. After slamming into the back of an suv because my breaks werent up to snuff, I thought I'd better up the anty with shocks that hold the tire better to the road..so I bought the blue tokos. I cant say they do ANYTHING better for my car and have no way to prove it.

Hissin can you please explain what it means to have aggressive valving? Does that mean better ride? Am I getting anything out of my tokos but dont know it? Why the harser ride? Last..Could I put back the oem style front struts and keep the rear tokos? Or is that a bad idea? :shrug: thks.

Stream of thought (a lot of which is already known):
Stock, we have a lot of travel for the spring and damper to absorb imperfections. Duh.
When we do lowering springs, we lose a lot of that suspension-articulation displacement. One caveat is that with a lowering spring, one would like to increase the spring rate quite a bit. This isnt really feasible on a street car. So it is kind like jumping off a 5' ledge. The first time you can come to rest at a full squat (stock springs/dampers) The second time you're limited to only bending your knees 90* (lowering springs). On the latter descent, you'll have to use a lot more quad to shop at 90*, and there will be a lot more shock to your body because the descent displacement was less.

What I think might be happening: The stock struts/shocks are probably a bit underdamped with the Prokit. This can lead to a softer ride. I used stock dampers with the Prokit and for *my desires* they sucked because when you hit a decent little roll or hill while at speed, the suspension cycled compression/rebound. This was smooth to the passengers but sucked from a handling perspective. A hideous analogy: I just rewatched Gone in 60 Seconds recently. When Cage jumps the ambulance and lands, the car is bouncing all over the road. That would be like underdamped struts/shocks.

When I went to the HP's (still with the Prokit), the 'day to day' bumps were felt by me more (increased harshness). But stability when hitting hills and dips in the road was greater because I wasn't 'bouncing' after such an event.

Does that maybe fit what you've seen Keith? With lowering springs, there are big trade-offs and perhaps what I see as good (increased stability at speed) isnt as important to you (you like a more compliant ride while cruising). :shrug:

As for mixing and matching (OEM struts and HP shocks), I'll speak aloud my one concern. The rear end is light - that's where we can sometimes go with a damper that isn't as aggressive (city driving here, no track talk). Having the rears be complaint (stock shocks) and the fronts more aggressive would be the way I'd stagger stock and aftermarket dampers. But that simply isnt an option for someone wanting a more compliant ride. That's a question for someone who's done it. :nice:

A really progressive strut (with compression and rebound specs tailored to your desires) might work for you Keith. I do *not* have experience with the really high end stuff *on Mustangs* (I did with an old roadster and a Porsche I drove many years ago). That, my friend, is something that someone else will have to talk about. :nice:

Stream of thought (a lot of which is already known):
Stock, we have a lot of travel for the spring and damper to absorb imperfections. Duh.
When we do lowering springs, we lose a lot of that suspension-articulation displacement. One caveat is that with a lowering spring, one would like to increase the spring rate quite a bit. This isnt really feasible on a street car. So it is kind like jumping off a 5' ledge. The first time you can come to rest at a full squat (stock springs/dampers) The second time you're limited to only bending your knees 90* (lowering springs). On the latter descent, you'll have to use a lot more quad to shop at 90*, and there will be a lot more shock to your body because the descent displacement was less.

What I think might be happening: The stock struts/shocks are probably a bit underdamped with the Prokit. This can lead to a softer ride. I used stock dampers with the Prokit and for *my desires* they sucked because when you hit a decent little roll or hill while at speed, the suspension cycled compression/rebound. This was smooth to the passengers but sucked from a handling perspective. A hideous analogy: I just rewatched Gone in 60 Seconds recently. When Cage jumps the ambulance and lands, the car is bouncing all over the road. That would be like underdamped struts/shocks.

When I went to the HP's (still with the Prokit), the 'day to day' bumps were felt by me more (increased harshness). But stability when hitting hills and dips in the road was greater because I wasn't 'bouncing' after such an event.

Does that maybe fit what you've seen Keith? With lowering springs, there are big trade-offs and perhaps what I see as good (increased stability at speed) isnt as important to you (you like a more compliant ride while cruising). :shrug:

As for mixing and matching (OEM struts and HP shocks), I'll speak aloud my one concern. The rear end is light - that's where we can sometimes go with a damper that isn't as aggressive (city driving here, no track talk). Having the rears be complaint (stock shocks) and the fronts more aggressive would be the way I'd stagger stock and aftermarket dampers. But that simply isnt an option for someone wanting a more compliant ride. That's a question for someone who's done it. :nice:

A really progressive strut (with compression and rebound specs tailored to your desires) might work for you Keith. I do *not* have experience with the really high end stuff *on Mustangs* (I did with an old roadster and a Porsche I drove many years ago). That, my friend, is something that someone else will have to talk about. :nice:

Wow, thanks man. :nice: That is a great analogy. It all adds up..I mean going from stock little by little till too many of the niceties go by by..and then I start noticing.

The tokicos I noticed a big difference in ride quality that I dont like. BUT I am sure based on what you are saying that the car does a lot bette rjob of staying on the road.

Between that and the cam being too aggressive for me..I might consider going back to stock shocks, either tuning out the "studder-i-ness of the cam with a PMS or replacing wit ha smaller cam altogether. The pro kit is not perfect to my eye but ride quality was excellent I must admit. My "c" springs LOOKed cooler but the bumps were nasty.

Then yo uadd the clutch studdering a bit and the shaki-ness of the cam for a street car and sometime I feel like I am driving one hell of an expensive JUNKER! LOL. So.. If it helps anyone, here are the items I would reverse if possible for a more stock like (better feel):

1. The svo hood looks really cool from the outside but being more of a purist..Whe nI sit in the drivers seat..? it looks white trash junky to me the way the back of the hood "rectangles" 3" above the windshield.

2. The clutch chatter is getting better .. but at first it felt like a studdddsshhhuuuter from a stop. felt like I was driving a junker. :nonono:

3. The tokicos I am probably going to sell. I just never go to the track and my personal taste I dont like the car sounding like its hitting mine field on my roads here at home.

4. The engine/cam shakiness / vibrating the whole car...Gonna make a change ..not sure what yet...

5. The car got louder...ok it sounds cool..but add it to all the other issues I CREATED... :notnice:

6. The gear whine 1-3...again it anint a "cool" like whine..it sounds like crapola. Not bad alone..but add it all up....

Again.. I am not complaining about having the ability to make the car really different and more powerful... :nono: (well maybe a little)
I simply have personal tastes I wasn't expecting..:nice: Now I am on a mission to make it all right. :)flag: )

Sorry if I got outta topic too.