Bad Steering Wheel Vibration. Suspension experts in here.

5o5speed

Aug 9, 2004
OK, I'm very frusterated with my 91 GT. Up until about 65-70mph the car is very smooth and enjoyable. However from about 70 on up my steering wheel bounces up and down way too much to the point where you can actually see it vibrating. It makes the car very unpleasnt to drive at highway speeds. I have H&R Supersport (750 lb) springs in front with Bilstein struts. Also have MM CC plates installed. I have had my tires balaned recently and it did not correct the problem. What could it be? I have driven cars with tires out of balance and this definently doesn't feel like that. The suspension of the car actually feels very smooth at all speeds but just so much vibration is coming through the steering column at 70 plus mph. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would have to see it in person, since that isn't possible then here is what I would do. Lift the car and check the suspension for any play. It that was good I would then check the tires for a separation. If none is identified then if you can rotate the tires and test drive again and see if it moves to the back. If the probem was still not found I would be a little feeling "WTF" but then I would probally check things like wheel berrings and such. Oh, and be sure the wheels arn't bent. A bent wheel and/or separated tire will balance out fine, but it will ride like crap.

I didn't see where you said it was aligned?

And what kind of rims do you have, and how where they balanced?
I know my rims MUST have wieghts placed on the inside and sticky wieghts on the outside. Not sure the name of the balancing method, but i think it's "dynamic" or "static" (one of the two) If i don't have it done this way, it will vibrate badly.

My Gt has been doing the exact same thing, I take it to the tire shop and have them balance the tires and it still shakes at freeway speeds. I'm positive its the peice of s*** brake rotors I've got on My car, thay have to be balanced to, these peice of junk rotors were also warped within two weeks of me putting them on the car. AUTO ZONE JUNK!

2000xp8 said:

I know my rims MUST have wieghts placed on the inside and sticky wieghts on the outside. Not sure the name of the balancing method, but i think it's "dynamic" or "static" (one of the two) If i don't have it done this way, it will vibrate badly.
Exactly what he said. Do you have aftermarket wheels? With no weights showing on the outside? When I got to my store as assistant manager, I reamed every tech there for "static" balancing tires. The only thing you static balance is swamper or huge truck tires. These guys were static balancing BMW wheels, and wondering why they were coming back for vibes? An aluminum wheel dynamic balance would be your regular clip weight on the inside lip of the wheel, then sticky weights on the inside of the wheel right behind the spokes. It usually takes more weight this way, but it will work. It's always best to use weight as far out on the wheel as possible, but with aftermarket wheels (or if you're like me, you hate wheel weights on the outside) you sometimes have no choice. I say take the wheels off... see if they only used a clip weight on the inside, or a bunch of sticky weights right, dead center of the wheel. If it is like that... take them back and ask them to balance them in aluminum dynamic mode. :nice:

2000xp8 said:

I agree with dynamic balancing; however, alignment issues will NOT cause vibration or a bad ride, only poor handling.

I took my car to Jake Lomotta here in orlando like a month ago for the same reason. Above 60-65mph the starts vibrating like crazy. I have 275/40/17 tires all around on 9'' rims. They were blanaced and aligned. Jake told me when my new rack and pinon was installed they installed it wrong. :shrug: I personally have more important things to fix, its not a life or death situation and i can live with it. Though i havent noticed it much since its come back, and they installed new upper rear control arms cause mine were cracked. I just ignore it. Probably something in your steering though