Bad tank of fuel symptoms?

CatmanJJ

Captain Tangnet
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 5, 2002
Maryland
Anybody have any idea or experienced this before?

I just paid her off to so go figure...

One minute my car is running like a champ for 32000 miles then now all of a sudden after a fill up at the local Sunoco, on the highway last week commuting to work in 5th my car started sputtering badly, I put it in 4th gave it some gas then back to 5th and it was fine. Now I'm noticing a bad odor from the exhaust also this morning it smoked up a pretty decent amount when I started it. Motor doesn't seem to be running smoothly. Also the check engine light came on. I have a tuner so I'll see what the code is when I get home.

Is there anything I can do like just add more fuel from a different station, since it's at half a tank, or try some chemical before I go the expensive route and take it to a mechanic.

• Sponsors (?)

I topped it off with 9 gals of Chevron supreme 93 and added a bottle of that heet ****, so I'll keep my fingers crossed now. I feel like a child is Ill, I left work early cause it was bugging me so bad.

5 gallons of 110 should do the trick

:D

What about some otc octane booster.

I'm anxious to see the code. I bet it's O2 related.

P0420

So it's exhaust related either that or my cat is going bad but I doubt it.

Check the dipstick and coolant to see if it is milky. My 98 blew a head gasket one day on the freeway just crusing. Or maybe it was the bottle of nitrous I went through the night before :shrug:

Nitrous :rlaugh:

Coolant looked normal didn't check the oil yet though.

*Update*

Well after driving the beater for a day, I hopped back into the stang and upon start up there was no big smoke show from any condensation this time. There is still some smoke when I'm accelerating hard though and it still stinks bad.

hey guys i have one question relating to a tank fill up i did the other day

Car was running fine until i filled up the tank. i little bit down the road the car first started to like die out. i saw the RPMS drop to like 300, this happened while i was accelarating ever so slightly. since then when the car is on, doesnt matter if its in park, neutral, or in drive, it feels like there is this THUMP coming from the back of the car, you can kinda hear it to, when this happens the car bogs a little. i ran that tank till it was empty and filled it up again at a different station and still no difference, also it hessitates to accel sometimes. could it be the fuel pump??? something wrong with that first full tank or something else??? car started ticking to. DD so please help

sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but i felt someone could help me here since i think it might be fuel related and since thats what you guys were talking about...

Thanks

oh, forgot to mention that after the car started to die out the first time, the next day i died out completly at a stop sign

hey guys i have one question relating to a tank fill up i did the other day

Car was running fine until i filled up the tank. i little bit down the road the car first started to like die out. i saw the RPMS drop to like 300, this happened while i was accelarating ever so slightly. since then when the car is on, doesnt matter if its in park, neutral, or in drive, it feels like there is this THUMP coming from the back of the car, you can kinda hear it to, when this happens the car bogs a little. i ran that tank till it was empty and filled it up again at a different station and still no difference, also it hessitates to accel sometimes. could it be the fuel pump??? something wrong with that first full tank or something else??? car started ticking to. DD so please help

sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but i felt someone could help me here since i think it might be fuel related and since thats what you guys were talking about...

Thanks

oh, forgot to mention that after the car started to die out the first time, the next day i died out completly at a stop sign

Your symptoms sound like a fuel pump, is the car throwing the CEL? If so get the code pulled at an auto parts store and tell us.

Run some 93 thru it just to see if it was the gas to, and change the fuel filter as soon as possible, might as well start cheap and see if that is the problem...

thanks for that link my ford book is word to work except this link had given me better understanding of what im watching on the o2s on predator thanks.to the guy with problem what type of scanner you using?a bad cat can happen anytime or never.an o2 is like screws on a carb.when they are bad your pulse rate 4 injectors change .then to much fuel gets to cats.o2 are a cheap repair .

Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for that link my ford book is word to work except this link had given me better understanding of what im watching on the o2s on predator thanks.to the guy with problem what type of scanner you using?a bad cat can happen anytime or never.an o2 is like screws on a carb.when they are bad your pulse rate 4 injectors change .then to much fuel gets to cats.o2 are a cheap repair .

A Superchips Max Micro Tuner, it's not that fancy but works.

I got this from Magnaflow.

MagnaFlow's OBDII Converter Basics - MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters by Car Sound

Your symptoms sound like a fuel pump, is the car throwing the CEL? If so get the code pulled at an auto parts store and tell us.

Run some 93 thru it just to see if it was the gas to, and change the fuel filter as soon as possible, might as well start cheap and see if that is the problem...

No the car is not throwing any codes other wise i would just check it with my tuner. I already changed the fuel filter and no change. Where i live the highest octane we have is 91 and thats the only thing i use. i tried some octane boost when i went to fill up the tank this last time and still no change... If it is the fuel pump how much do you think that would cost me??? Can i install it myself or is it too hard???

thatks again for any help:SNSign: