Bad throw out bearing?

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
I noticed my transmission was making some rattling noises. Now that I look into it, I think it's the throw out bearing. It makes a rattling noise like rocks in a can when in neutral when the clutch is not pushed in. My question: should I replace it as soon as possible? If I don't, will it lead to problems with the transmission or clutch? Is that even what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a throwout bearing- Mine screached for a while, then when I took it apart the bearing had actually come apart enough that I had ball bearing rolling around in my bellhousing.

I don't think it could cause harm to the transmission, but I would certainly replace it asap.

Thanks for the info. Would this have any bearing on the function of the clutch? The car has not been driven this week as I didn't want something to fail. I have never pulled a transmission out of one of these cars before. I have done this on a fox though. Is it the same process or are there any surprises? I already know about the integrated bellhousing. I am assuming this would be more like pulling out an AOD.

When the cluch is engaged (pressed against the flyweel), the entire assembly is spinning along with the flyweel at whatever RPM the engine is turning. To dis-engage the cluch, pressure needs to be applied the diaphragm spring to release the pressure pressing the clutch against the flywheel-

What the throwout bearing allows you to do is apply pressure to the spinning diaphragm spring from the stationary release fork (connected to the clutch cable).

When the throwout bearing starts to fail, I suppose there are a number of things that could be damaged. Bearing pieces could make their way into the clutch assembly and jam the diaphragm spring levers. This can bend the levers, necessitiating replacement of the assembly. I suppose that heat from the bearing could damage something as well.

There is a pretty decent tutorial on how a clutch works on this website to get a better understanding of how they work.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

If you do replace it, be sure to also replace the pilot bearing. This is the support bearing pressed into the flywheel and allows for different rotational speeds between the transmission shaft and the engine. It is working anytime the clutch is not fully engaged. You would hate for this to fail a few months after dropping the tranny for replacing the throwout bearing.

An aftermarket quadrant and an adjustable clutch cable will allow you to change the feel and at what point in pedal travel the clutch engages/disengages. It won't do anything to prevent wearing out throwout bearings. Just a matter of friction and wear.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a pilot bearing that I was going to put on my old 5.0 but ended up not using it. Will it fit on this car? Is this a 10.5" or 11" clutch?