balancer question

_MATiC

Sep 24, 2003
El Paso, TX
so my car is shaking pretty ugly..i've read a few forums with the same symptoms as my car, so i've come to the conclusion that the harmonic balancer is going out..i was lookin to buy a replacement one but can't decide on which one..should i just go with the ford racing part M-6316-M50? or do i need something in addition to that..?

• Sponsors (?)

there are so many things that could casue vibration, I wouldn't replace the balancer unless it looks bad. The stock balancers can separate where the center rubber isolator is..I've attached a pic of mine from when it went bad for your reference...

Attachments

• Balancer.jpg
    Balancer.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 66
I would only replace it if its bad as well. If it is bad, then I'd recomend you getting a powerbond (pioneer) balancer. If the FMS balancer is anything like the stock balancer it'll wear out just as fast. Here is wher e I got mine from, it's about $100 more than the FMS, but cheaper than a romac and the quality it very nice

http://www.dallasexportsales.com/DESCatalog/page-4-SFI.html

Pioneer 872030 SFI SB Ford 50oz, Elastic Style w/Raised Pulley Location, Weighted 165.00

just for info, like 1105, I went with a Powerbond too on Steeda's recommendation...from what I'd heard at the time (4 years ago?) it was one of the few aftermarket balancers that did not require an additional spacer for the 94-95 cars...for some of the balancers, you will have to factor the spacer in on the pricing.

LRS sells the PP street unit for around 80 bucks. Nice piece IMHO.
Some parts stores sell non-SFI Pioneers for 70-100. Romacs are nice but pricey. The Pioneer unit mentioned is also very nice. Lots of choices.

Good luck.