bama tuner....

• Sponsors (?)

Did your friend restore his car to stock before selling you the handheld? If he didn't return his car to stock you have to have the tuner unlocked so it can be used on your car (IIRC its like $150). If he did return his car to stock before selling to you, then the question becomes does Bama write tunes for second hand owners of a tuner purchased from them? I don't know the answer and would suggest you find out the answer to the first question and then reach out to AM.

As mentioned above, the 'friend' had to turn his car back to stock which I would bet wasn't done, either knowingly or not. If he didn't then you have a piece of equipment that is worthless for your car as of right now. What you have to do is,

A) Send your tuner at your expense to SCT and have it unlocked for $150 bucks

B) After A has been done then you give Bama and American Muscle a call and pay them $150 bucks for their 3 tunes for your car.

If you decide to get more mods which it sounds like you will be doing, you will have to continue to get new tunes which will cost more since the $150 you will have to pay is not for free tunes for life, its simply for 3 tunes @50 each.

Unless you got the tuner free its not worth it imo UNLESS its unlocked and then its only a decent deal no matter what the price.

So if you have to have A & B you are basically at the price of a new tuner plus a little bit more for the tunes for life and a brand new tuner, if this is what needs to be done you didn't get yourself a deal at all imo.

The only way you may have gotten lucky here is if the person you bought it from used it to return their car to stock (Saves you $150 having to unlock it. If they didn't do this, then I'd demand they do it or give you a refund) and if the computer code in your car happens to match the computer code in his car (saves you the $150 to join the tunes for life program). Alternatively, if you do have a different computer code then I'd probably skip the Bama tunes all together and have a local shop do a custom tune for you car on the Dyno which should set you back about $80. You probably won't get free tunes for life this way (i.e. $80 every time you want another tune) but you will have a custom tune for your car which is probably better than a generic tune from Bama based on a list of modifications.