Bang For My Buck: V3 Or Tfs 170

• Sponsors (?)

Look for a used one! They get listed alot and are considerably cheaper. You can even look for some good used heads. IMO you can find an intake/head combo for under 1500$ more like around 1k. Obviously you'll need some extras with that and labor which you could have 2-2.5k in the finished product. The blower setup is going to cost at least 3k and if done properly closer to 4-4.5k. But the blower will make considerably more power if that matters. I personally want the power but my car is a toy.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not just the cost of the heads. You're not going to swap heads and leave the stock cam in. Factor in

Heads
head gaskets
head bolts
intake gaskets
roller rockers
pushrods
tiiming chain
timing chain gaskets
camshaft
lifters
fluids

vs. the blower which being self contained you don't even need to change the oil.

It's not just the cost of the heads. You're not going to swap heads and leave the stock cam in. Factor in

Heads
head gaskets
head bolts
intake gaskets
roller rockers
pushrods
tiiming chain
timing chain gaskets
camshaft
lifters
fluids

vs. the blower which being self contained you don't even need to change the oil.
He already has a cam installed fwiw and I still vote for the blower now and heads later

Buy the intake used. If I was you I'd try and find a lightly used vortech and save some money. Or better yet do a turbo. Should be cheaper then the vortech make more power and you can sell your headers to offset the price. I had $2000 or so into my turbo kit.

he could do an explorer intake but then theres porting etc... used blowers are a crap shoot and could be money wasted... he's looking at maybe high 200's 300 hp with the tfs add on. tmoss ported the intake so he should have a really fun street ride with the combo and a base to grow from dont ya think..

@bentley429isBAC Terrible advice all around if you ask me.

Let's compare apples to apples here, a quality made complete turn key centrifugal kit vs some eBay incomplete turbo kit that 1/2 way fits on a good day and offers some menial warranty at best?

New Vortech Kit = 3 year warranty, turn key product!

Last edited:
Hear ya but I don't think I'm gonna have the $600 handcuff key

I guess I don't know what Tom squeezes out of the stock intakes, but even a GT40-style intake would be a better starting point. A GT40 intake with some AFR or Twisted Wedge heads and a stock cam with a Vortech is a proven 400 RWHP combo. Exploder intakes can be had cheap, I literally gave mine away.

@bentley429isBAC Terrible advice all around if you ask me.

Let's compare apples to apples here, a quality made complete turn key centrifugal kit vs some eBay incomplete turbo kit that 1/2 way fits on a good day and offers some menial warranty at best?

New Vortech Kit = 3 year warranty, turn key product!

It was a pony down hot side. I pieced together the cold side and put a turbonetics 72mm on it. All fit great. Not sure which part of that is terrible advice.

When the OP is looking for something complete, a piece together kit is probably the farthest thing from what he wants. Not to mention a little consideration needs to take place in turbo sizing for the application. Order the wrong hotside and have a lazy car down low or something that is terribly inefficient. Not to mention having to have the car tuned. I seriously question the reliability of a 2,000$ pieced together turbo setup.

I in no way mean to sound brash here. I'm trying to subjectively look at this from what the OP originally asked about.

Since you are on a lower end budget, here's the real question, if you do a supercharger and something on the engine breaks or you blow a head gasket, can you afford to fix it? Many shops charge notably more money to work on a car that has a centrifical supercharger on it because you have to remove it to do the work.

I like superchargers, i just see one on a tight budget as risky at best.

I see super or turbo charging like using steroids. It will GET results, but side effects include a shorter life expectancy. Especially if you boost too much. If you want it to last a long time, there may be more involved in a build than just a pressure boost.

Most mishaps with forced induction are due to improper installation/tuning issues/getting greedy with boost. A low boost setup done right will last a long time.

And before someone else says it, there is nothing like being blown... ;)
Sorry i had to whore it . continue on . LOL
3a94703469b611e3be3b0e0e35c9b4cd_8.jpg

Last edited:
I see super or turbo charging like using steroids. It will GET results, but side effects include a shorter life expectancy. Especially if you boost too much. If you want it to last a long time, there may be more involved in a build than just a pressure boost.
I have personally seen applications with over 200,000 miles! My opinion is that driving style plays a much larger role on engine longevity than boost pressure. While you are making more hp under boost you are also increasing engine efficiency thus why a lot of manufactures offer supercharged and turbocharged factory options.