BAP Sensor.....Do I need one?

Fordfanatic89

May 28, 2011
I am coming to you guys again. I did a search and found alot of mixed info but nothing really anwsered my question.

I am going over the car I just bought. 1992 5.0 5spd Coupe SSP. I am fixing all the "little" things. Looked under the hood and discovered the BAP sensor is mising. Connector is there, but no sensor. Not sure if they left it off from when the car was painted or what. The car has an E-cam if that matters. The engine is otherwise stock. Seems to run fine. At times it has long crank and sometimes on slow speed/rpm turns it will shut off , but starts right back up. Not sure if that is related.

Thanks in advance. you all are alot of help!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, you really SHOULD have one. But, as you see, often the car will "run" without one. My guess is that you live near sea-level (within a few hundred feet), and you haven't driven the Stang in "severe" weather (like a huge storm, hurricane, etc).

Without a BAP, the ECC will *assume* the air pressure is at "STP" (Standard Temp and Pressure). So, if you drive in high-attitudes, or during big storms (as defined by air pressure), the the car will likely have significant drive-ability issues.

Also, even at 0-feet sea-level and "perfect days", it's foolish not to run with a BAP since that will effect gas mileage (pays for itself within a year), power, etc.

BTW: IMHO, BUY FORD ONLY FOR SENSORS! Yes, I know that the BAP isn't cheap. IMHO, I'd trust a junk-yard/ebay-used-Ford-orig sensor before I'd trust some cheap *ss CR*P sensor on my car that will LIKELY fail in a short time.

Good Luck!

Hmm, second "Buy Ford" thread today. Hey, Ford, I want a kick-back! Or, at least a new Cobra! ;)

Ok thanks. I guess it could cause my drivability issues also, I'll pick one up.
Your E-cam is a big reason for that.
Yes, the "letter cams" where "okay" in the 90's. IMHO, for people that love letter cams - go buy and use a 5MHz 8088 PC along with your "letter cam" - same technology. ;)

Still, since your car already has the cam in it, keep it as long as the drive-ability is acceptable. Otherwise, step up to ~70's technology and a dual pattern cam.

Hey, where's that animation with the "B-Cam being the most advanced cam ever designed in the universe"? IMHO, they should change that video to say "the Ford letter cams". :)

For those keeping count today:
BUY FORD: Count=2 (alum radiator & sensors)
Ford products SUCK: Count=1 (letter cams)

*****k it. Now, I may not get that Cobra. Damn, Damn, Damn. Hey more people buy sensors and radiators than cams.
So, Ford, how about a compromise - 50% off a new Cobra? :D