Battery choice for 1000 cranking amps?

DanG

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2000
Maryland
I currently have a battery installed in the trunk which offers 550 cranking amps, but often turns the car over slowly. I have the battery grounded well, and also have a power cable running from the battery directly to the alternator for better charging of the battery.
I'd like to install a battery which has 1000 cranking amps and am uncertain which to go with? I hear mixed reviews on the Optima red tops, and am uncertain what other battery will offer what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running two small odysseys in my rear seat with 4 awg wire running from each without an issue. What size wire did you use? Obviously, I would prefer two smaller batteries over one big one..

550 should do it. What gauge cable are you using? Should be 2 gauge at the smallest.

Kurt

I know it's not 0 gauge. I believe it is a 2 gauge wire. .

My original setup consisted of:

*Stock Alternator wiring to Power distribution box in front of motor
*0 gauge wire from power distribution box in front of motor, to battery in trunk

The shop that I took the car to, to perform initial start up, dyno, and miscellaneous other small work that I didn't have the time to perform (Car wasn't stored at my home), recommended they run a new cable from the alternator, directly to the battery for better charging. They did this for a few bucks, so I told them to go a head.
Ever since I've gotten the car back, it has a very slow start almost as though the battery is only half charged. I believe I may also have some sort of open in the car, as the battery will sometimes go nearly dead if I don't drive the car for a few days. Only other reason the battery would be doing this, is because the battery is simply no good to begin with. I admit that I cheaped on the battery, as I purchased it from a local store called Battery One who re-manufactures batteries.

Well, if it happened right after they did something, check all their connections. Odds are they messed something up. The connections to the battery itself are the most critical. I'd hate to see you dump all that money into a battery just to find out it doesn't make any difference. 2 gauge wire should be sufficient.

Kurt

The best way to check is to check for heat while under load. I had an issue on a friend's car. The positive cable looked fine, but it wouldn't start. We poored Coca Cola on it to try and clean it. As soon as we tried to start it again, the Coke all boliled off. New cable fixed the problem.

Kurt

In my first mustang I also had the battery in the trunk (purchased the car that way). I too had the same problem you are describing. After money spent on a new battery, altenator, and starter I found that the battery cable had a cut in it from rubbing on the body of the car. This cut allowed the cable to get corroded. I changed the cable out and walla... problem solved. Just check your cable very well. Where mine had rubbed the body it was very difficult to see/find. Just another option for you before you spend money that you dont have to spend.

PS: If the cable is grounding out somewhere then it will put a load on the battery and drain it. Just fyi

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will have to check the cable from the battery to the power distribution box in the front, and from the alternator to the battery. ( Two separate cables )