battery drain on 89 Saleen

My car eats batteries. Used to have a boom box system in it before I bought the car and removed the box. Left the wires unconnected in the back so they go nowhere and hang loosely. I read somewhere that alternators on the 89's can be responsible for the drain. True? I have underdrive pullies and do not drive the car much but battery can go dead in a week. There arer huge fuses under the hood to power this elaborate soundsystem. New soundsystem comprises American Thunder flowmasters. Opinions on the cause for the drain?

• Sponsors (?)

Typically it is something draining the battery. Small things like glove box or courtesy lights are often the culprits. If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, it is also suspect.

The ideal method is to disconnect the negative terminal, and connect a Digital Multimeter (DVM) between the negative terminal on the battery and the negative cable. Set the DVM on a low current scale of 2-5 amps if it doesn't auto range. Watch the current draw, and then start pulling out fuses. When you see a sudden drop in the current, that circuit is the likely culprit. Note that the computer, radio & clock will draw less than 1/10 amp to keep the settings alive.

Using the negative side prevents nasty accidents like shorting the wrench to ground while disconnecting the battery cable. Electrically, the test will work with either positive or negative battery cable.

Reactions: 1 user