Battery Drain; Spare Fuse?

Jun 10, 2014
So I've been having issues with my battery draining, and today I got in there with a multimeter and started pulling fuses. Initially it was reading 70-80 milliamps, and I began pulling fuses, until there were none left to pull. Just for the halibut I decided to pull the spare, and suddenly the reading dropped to 0. So I'm thinking cool I found my drain, but this makes zero sense to me. I know next to nothing about electrical systems, but this just doesn't seem to be possible; I didn't think the spare slot actually went anywhere. Can anyone offer an explanation?

• Sponsors (?)

Look in the slot where the spare fuse came out of. If it looks like there are metal contacts in both sides, someone has added an extra circuit to power some non OEM gadget.

Fuse box layout
MustangFuseBox.gif

Reactions: 1 user
It is some wireless accessory that is draining power from the spare fuse. Does your phone have Bluetooth or wireless? It has to get power from somewhere.
Or not.

See if someone added an accessory off of the battery or solenoid terminal that can pull actual electricity too. Stereo systems, NO2 and security systems come to mind as real power draining accessories.

This will be easier than tracing wireless power drains. I doubt an add on wire is bundled and buried in the loom, and if you are lucky, the parts store wire will be run to the controller/relay that is leaking current.

As it is not a short that is blowing a fuse, I hope it is a defective switch or controller that you can easily check for. 1. Plug the fuse back in. 2. See if there is power to the item, 3. unplug the power wire at the item, making sure to not short the wire to ground, 4. See if the current drain is cured. 5. If not, call a priest or Jrichker.

0.07-0.08A is not a whole lot of drain. That could be simply from Keep Alive memory used in the radios and EEC units.

Is anything 0.08A is normal and i would not suspect a battery drain issue. I've usually seen battery drains in the 1-2A or more range.