Battery drained by keyless entry????

1SLO94

Jan 19, 2006
Louisville, KY.
Just as the title states!?!?! I helped a buddy with his Procharged 93 LX the other day! His Red top Optima battery was not holding charge so we decided since we both had quick connect battery terminals we'd just pull mine to start his! It worked great and we went on about our business. Later that evening I drove home got out the car pushed the door lock on my key fob and went in the house like always! Didn't go to move the car til the next evening (bout 24 hours) and the car was dead! The dome light barely lit and when I went to turn her over she maybe cranked twice and then nothing! I decided to just wait till the next day when there was better light. I jumped it and it started fine, let her run for bout 20min. figuring that would give it ample charging time to refresh the battery!! NOPE, dead still!!! I checked all my connections to make sure I was grounded properly and everything checked out fine!! Well I go to get back in the car and hear a repetitive clicking coming from the trunk! I pop the trunk to find the noise coming from my drivers side trunk panel where the Keyless module is located! Sure enough that's where the noise was coming from. I unplugged the box and it stopped clicking but still the car would not crank! After unplugging all 3 connections to the keyless box the car fired right up and has ever since! Now knowing what the culprit is, is my keyless box fried or do I just need to plug it back in and go through the whole programming process again???:shrug: Sorry for the long rant but I wanted you to get all the info so you knew exactly what's goin on:bang: !! Thanks in advance guys! I need to figure al this out cuz the car maybe gone to a new owner by next week!

• Sponsors (?)

Just as the title states!?!?! I helped a buddy with his Procharged 93 LX the other day! His Red top Optima battery was not holding charge so we decided since we both had quick connect battery terminals we'd just pull mine to start his! It worked great and we went on about our business. Later that evening I drove home got out the car pushed the door lock on my key fob and went in the house like always! Didn't go to move the car til the next evening (bout 24 hours) and the car was dead! The dome light barely lit and when I went to turn her over she maybe cranked twice and then nothing! I decided to just wait till the next day when there was better light. I jumped it and it started fine, let her run for bout 20min. figuring that would give it ample charging time to refresh the battery!! NOPE, dead still!!! I checked all my connections to make sure I was grounded properly and everything checked out fine!! Well I go to get back in the car and hear a repetitive clicking coming from the trunk! I pop the trunk to find the noise coming from my drivers side trunk panel where the Keyless module is located! Sure enough that's where the noise was coming from. I unplugged the box and it stopped clicking but still the car would not crank! After unplugging all 3 connections to the keyless box the car fired right up and has ever since! Now knowing what the culprit is, is my keyless box fried or do I just need to plug it back in and go through the whole programming process again???:shrug: Sorry for the long rant but I wanted you to get all the info so you knew exactly what's goin on:bang: !! Thanks in advance guys! I need to figure al this out cuz the car maybe gone to a new owner by next week!

I went through the same thing about two years ago. I unplugged it for about 20 minutes and plugged it back in, about six months later it killed the battery again. Mine was the door lock solenoid was bad. Mine clicked about every 7 seconds and it just keep trying to lock the door even after it was locked. I replaced the power door lock actuator and have had no problems since.

I had a radar detector that would drain any car battery in 3 days if left on in the car. But anyway, yeah I'm sure bmac50 is on the right path. The keyless entry probably doesn't know it's locked and is still trying to do so.