Battery relocation

• Sponsors (?)

Hey man. I would say don't buy it. I bought it only to find out the cabling is wrong size (guage my mechanic said) for our cars. :nonono:

I personally do not know which one to buy now. :shrug:

2 gauge would work fine :shrug: ?

looks like the kit would work to me. depending on your track and how strict they are it may not be 100% legal. some require a shutoff switch mounted on the rear of the car when the batt is back there. also they require a box that is legal

I got the Taylor aluminum box for mine. Needed a longer ground wire, but the box worked out great otherwise. I just picked up some welding cable and made my own ground, and ran the positive from the trunk to the distribution block on the side of the underhood fusebox. It's not technically track-legal because I don't have a switch that's accessible from outside the car, but that would be easily accomplished with a couple hours' worth of work.

I would want a boxed "kit" personally. But the link is helpful. I will have to look again to see if he give a gauge for the wire.

"relocated the battery to the trunk over the weekend.

i reused the stock battery tray, made my own hold down. 3/8 rod. and 1/0 cable with terminal ends. i mounted the box tight in the corner so it wouldnt take up much room. i'm gonna make a battery box out of aluminum sheet metal later on.

i routed the cable under the car and through the gommets in the trunk. grounded the battery on one of the quad shock bolts. and made a new ground cable from the stock location on the timing cover to the sway bar bolt."

Dan,

#1 is 1/0 cable the description? Another guy on that thread said he used #4 wire but it was too small. Is the term we sould look for when searching for wire a 1/0 or a # ?

#2 Also, how long of cable did you use?

i just bought that summit kit last week. looks like a nice kit. i haven't installed it yet though. doing that either this or next weekend.

Thats a good write up there Dan. :nice:

i made my own kit. i used 600v welding cable and ends. got some 1/2'' eyebolts and nuts and bought a battery box from the local speed shop.
00006725px.jpg

00006740ot.jpg

00006755qp.jpg

00006780kh.jpg

Attachments

• 00006725px.jpg
    00006725px.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 00006740ot.jpg
    00006740ot.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 00006755qp.jpg
    00006755qp.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 00006780kh.jpg
    00006780kh.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 48
Hey woodyy, what'd ya ever end up doing about your blower? Last I knew, you had it up on eBay and were swapping on some TFS heads, but then I haven't seen ya around in a while...

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=688271

I bought the summit kit. My dad looked over the wire size (electrical engineer), said it should work. I am running a bigger alt (160 amp) but I'm not running anything extra on the car. No big stereo. He said the starter is the biggest issue. Just don't sit there and crank away. Hit it in short bursts. Either way, I'm going to give it a try with the wiring they provide. If it gets hot, I'll just swap it out for some 2/0 later.

I've been running the kit for years now (the summit one) and it works great. Ibought the kit when it came out and I think I paid like $30 for teh whole thing. It comes with 2 ga. cable which is enough for just about all street cars. Plus its easier to route than the 0/1 ga. cable. Back then the summit kit was cheaper than buying the 2 ga. from the other guyz in their catalog (taylor, and painless) so I figured even if I dont use the kit its still cheaper. I ended up using the kit and it works just fine. Its a really good value in my opinion. Also, I have found the easiest way to wire it is to run the + from the new location battery to the starter and the + that used to go from the starter to the battery (underhood) to the power distribution box. Very easy and quick to do the wiring.

I've been running the kit for years now (the summit one) and it works great. Ibought the kit when it came out and I think I paid like $30 for teh whole thing. It comes with 2 ga. cable which is enough for just about all street cars. Plus its easier to route than the 0/1 ga. cable. Back then the summit kit was cheaper than buying the 2 ga. from the other guyz in their catalog (taylor, and painless) so I figured even if I dont use the kit its still cheaper. I ended up using the kit and it works just fine. Its a really good value in my opinion. Also, I have found the easiest way to wire it is to run the + from the new location battery to the starter and the + that used to go from the starter to the battery (underhood) to the power distribution box. Very easy and quick to do the wiring.

Very good to hear. Hopefully I can second this and say the wiring is fine with the bigger alt. :nice:

1/0 is a size of welding cable. the 0 is pronounced as "Ott". so One Ott.

i cant really remember what length cables i got. i think it was 32 feet of 1/0 and 15 of 2ga. with cable to spare.

just go to your local welding suppy store. I went to a place called Princess Auto for most of my ****.

i'm going to make a aluminum battery box similar to a taylor and polish it up. to add some bling to the trunk