bbk 78mm throttle body

• Sponsors (?)

Its as if I caught bigfoot in a cage and showed him to the world. There are still people that want to hate. Its ok, no matter what you say im still right here.

Not trying to hate at all. I'm glad people like it and I hope that it does gain 10 hp. I have a plenum and TB myself, so I obviously don't have any animosity towards either.

However, you cannot say that the dyno you posted demonstrates anything about the effects of adding the BBK piece. The gains are vitiated by the drop in the a/f. Even if the BBK did drop the a/f ratio that much, then it's kind of akin to a C&L mass air. Adding a C&L MAF leans up the car, so it gains power. But that's not the mass air making the gains, the gains come from it tweaking the a/f.

And if you were correct in your prior explanation about how the "air to fuel" ratio works, then anytime you add forced induction (ie. a lot of air) the a/f would be about 9:1 to compensate, right? Because it becomes richer from the additional fuel? But that's not the case, you correct by adding an equivalent amount of fuel to keep the a/f where it should be.

Again, not hating. It looks like a nice piece and I'm glad your brother had a good experience.

look dude you are going into it way too deep here, the point was that everyone stated that it did not make any power, both my brother and a plenum installed on our 4.6 cars and picked up the same hp.

Good lord... do I need to read some of the ricer comments here? It's not about shoving air down your stock intake, it's about how much air your stock intake needs. Stock, you are fine with your stock TB. Blown, you need a wider passage. Stock... you may get a 1hp or 2hp with a bit more air but your car is not designed for the bigger TB air intake. Just like I was telling some moron that put in 80# fuel injectors which are retarded on a stock engine... he's like, "I smell gas..." Well, yeah...

Your computer is programmed for certain things within the realm of your engine design.

I've found that the TB quality is more based on butterfly valve response than the diameter. I had a MAC 75mm TB that stuck and was crap for opening and closing. Then I got an Accufab 75mm TB that had instant cable response...

:shrug:

:rolleyes:

one thing that's worth mentioning is that it's not simply the diameter of the throttle body that's relevant. it can only flow as much air as the system in front of it and behind it.

I'd guess a huge throttle body mounted to a stock plenum isn't going to do a whole lot. But I'd guess an improved plenum would make some power over the stock piece even with a factory throttle body. And an improved TB mounted to a better plenum might very well improve high rpm breathing to a noticeable degree. I wouldn't expect the diameter of the TB to be the only relevant factor. One company's 70mm TB/plenum might be as good as another's 75mm TB/plenum.

And increases of a few percent over stock are tough to prove given variations in weather and any other tuning that might take place on a shop dyno.

This page from Accufab even shows no increase in flow from 70mm to 75mm using their own plenum: Mustang GT

Not sure what that means at the end of the day, though. Perhaps the take-away is that you're better off buying a new plenum if you are installing a throttle body, and the difference between 70mm and 75mm on a NA Mustang is tiny :shrug:

One thing I like about the BBK is that it’s a throttle body and plenum all in once piece. I would think it’s the most efficient tb/plenum comb for are cars because of that reason. My buddy has one on his stock 02 GT and said he felt a difference right after he put it on.