BBK Headers Question

roadrunner19va

Oct 1, 2005
I have a bone stock 1991 5.0. Which BBK headers do I need? I have all stock exhaust. I do not want to buy a new H pipe right now. Do I need the equal lenght? Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy stainless BBK Headers?

• Sponsors (?)

The equal length in theory is supposed to give a few extra horses over the shorty style. Right now the real thing to decide is pipe diameter. If you're going to keep it fairly close to stock, go with a 1 1/2 diameter shorty. If there's any chance at all you might up the power, go with the equal length in 1 5/8. On a stock engine, you'll notice an increase but once modded, they'll really shine. Last, go with the ceramic coating if you can. The nickle/chrome plating turns all colors and you'll wish you got the ceramic.

Go for the unequal shorties. The equal lengths don't give you any added power and the unequals are cheaper, easier to install on the motor and bolt up to the stock H a lot easier. My friend had two sets of equal lenght bbks and they were 1/4 wider than the unequals at the collector which make it a pain to bolt the H pipe up.
Kevin

Go for the unequal shorties. The equal lengths don't give you any added power and the unequals are cheaper, easier to install on the motor and bolt up to the stock H a lot easier. My friend had two sets of equal lenght bbks and they were 1/4 wider than the unequals at the collector which make it a pain to bolt up.
Kevin

Good advice. I've had both equal and unequal shorties, and I will never buy equal lengths again. The equal lengths tend to burn spark plug boots, and mine interfered with my smog pump hoses on the passenger side. They're just not worth it.

Unequal shorties all the way!

you sure you want to buy headers for a bone stock 5.0? you're not going to see a damn difference, sure maybe if you put it on a dyno you'll get 1 or 2, but believe me, dual 2 1/4 exhaust is more than plenty for a stock motor. take that money and put it elsewhere where it'll make a difference, my .02

Very true. On that note the stock headers are good up to about the 300HP mark. You can put the money towards a port job(http://www.tmossporting.com/), edelbrock, cobra/gt40/explorer intake or something that which will net you much better gains... especially for the dollar. I wouldn't worry about getting rid of the gasses untill you can get enough air into the motor. The intake is the biggest bottleneck, I would start there...
BBK aren't stainless but they do offer ceramic coating. Personally if I were to do my headers again I would go with the FMS ones.
Kevin

Dont be a cheap ass. Upgrade the whole system you'll love it. Go with shorty unequal bbk ceramic headers. You can go with equal length but they are a pain in the ass to install and the little bit of hp gain isnt worth it. Then just a get a catless h pipe and some flowmasters or something. It will be nice and loud. And it'll remind everybody in town whos driving that nice mustang.

Headers

Thanks for all of the responses. I actually have purchased quite a bit of mods for my car already. Once I purchase the rest I will put them all on at the same time. Here is a list of stuff I purchased already.

- Edelbrock Performer 5.0 upper and lower intake
- Tall ford racing aluminum valve covers
- MAC 70mm Throttle Body
- 73mm C&L MAF
- BBK 190LPH Pump

Here is a list of parts I still need to get.

- BBK Headers
- 3G Alternator
- Underdrive pullies

Very true. On that note the stock headers are good up to about the 300HP mark.

I've heard people say this before, and I have always been doubtful. The stock headers are pinched down pretty small right by the heads.

Are you saying that on, lets say a GT40P explorer motor with a E303 cam (280hp or so?), there would be no benefit from going to a set of 1 5/8 shorties?

I always figured stock headers should be one of the first things to go. The overall design isn't bad except for the pinch right by the heads, which I heard was to make them easier to install at the factory.

Dunno, just curious.