BBK Longtubes

stang22

Jan 29, 2003
Washington, D.C.
I am rebuilding my motor and doing some other stuff and I am going to get some new long tubes. I have been looking at BBK's (Jet-Hot coated) LT's and wanted to get some different opinions from you guys. The price ranges are between $370.00 to $400.00 or so, give or take a few. Let me know what you think, and if you know of any other places to get them from. Thanks in advance,

Tim

1979-93 5.0 Mustang 1 5-8" Full-Lengths (Jet-Hot) Laser-Cut Flange 369.95

• Sponsors (?)

I've got the bbk full lengths with the short bbk x pipe with mac pro dumps, and i think it's helping my beast breath better, plus it sounds alot better also. not sure about feeling a power increase though, because i put the exhaust on at the same time that i built the motor.

I have BBK LT's with a catted h-pipe, I noticed some low end improvement after switching (previously had hedman shorties). Only complaint I have about em is you really need to watch out when going over speed bumps, it's painful hearing them rub, but I suppose all LT's would be that way heh. Didn't notice too too much difference in sound, but who knows.

I currently have long tubes right now and I am sure the new ones will only compliment my setup. Any install or fitment issues? I don't mind paying the extra for the Jet-Hot coating though. I wouldn't say my car is going to be a show car, but I will show it... if that helps.

If anyone knows a cheaper place to buy them with the Jet Hot coating already, let me know. Thanks!

Tim

I don't have to get BBK LT's, but those are the only ones I found with the Jet Hot coating on them already.

I wanted them for my 393 Tbird, and gave them a try. I had just finished reworking my K member, and was test fitting the engine with a Canton 7 qt, so stuck them on. They are VERY nice headers, and fit my engine/body fine, but after I checking, they were too close together between the collecters to clear the AOD. :( I think BBK missed the boat when they did not make these to fit AOD cars also.

Here is my attemp tp fit them in my Tbird
http://www.qsl.net/wd4ngb/birdwork9.htm

HyPer-50 said:
I bought the BBK's for one reason only, my install guy suggested them due to there ease of installation..... LOL he still had to lift the motor to put em on, so be prepared for that.

I am pulling the motor and tranny to weld-up and paint the engine bay along with some other stuff like re-building the motor. It should be about a 6-8 month project if everything goes right. Not really worried about jacking up the motor though... being it will be on an engine stand for a while. :D

Tim

BBKs are great bang for buck headers and longtubes are the way to go. There are other options that are better but they are either much more $$ or are slip fit headers. I know many will come on dispute this but I 'm just not a fan of slip on headers. The BBKs could use a little grinding just inside the mounting flange (where mounts to head) to get rid of extra welds.

90Notch said:
I know many will come on dispute this but I 'm just not a fan of slip on headers.

I won't dispute it with you, I just took my old slip long tubes off. Although they were very easy to install, when I took them out, I coud tell a few places were leaking that I did not know was leaking.

Tim