bbk ssi intake: hype or not?

does anybody have any experince with that bbk ssi twin plenum intake? there's tons of ads but i haven't really heard any first hand accounts. i know people have preferences but insight to this intake would be nice since i haven't heard otherwise. just curious if its media hype like so many other parts. any info is appreciated! :nice: :notnice: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I remember around the time it first came out MM&FF did a comparison of it vs. (I am pretty sure it was extrude honed) Cobra intake. It bested the cobra intake at pretty much every rpm in both torque and hp. As for more extensive testing I couldn't find much more using a quick google search but I am sure you could find more. I really don't much care for the look of it though nor the huge lettering on it.

I remember around the time it first came out MM&FF did a comparison of it vs. (I am pretty sure it was extrude honed) Cobra intake. It bested the cobra intake at pretty much every rpm in both torque and hp. As for more extensive testing I couldn't find much more using a quick google search but I am sure you could find more. I really don't much care for the look of it though nor the huge lettering on it.

yeah, it does look goofy but it may be nice for the street. an in between kind of intake :shrug: i'll look on the net some too. some first hand accounts would be interesting to hear. thanks for the input tho!:nice:

It looks goods on my car haha but thats about it.... I kept having a vaccum leak and i assumed I screwed up the gasket and so i tried about 7 diffrent ways of putitng on gaskets and sealers and then I got out the str8 edge and it was warped v_v :eek:

I think it is going to take a couple years for the intake to get popular...

It will need lots of overall opinions...

Often times enthusiasts are tough on new products...

Make sure you read the entire thread that was linked above...it appears BBK reps like Mr. Rogers got to the root of the problem...

Follow the instructions that BBK gives you and you should be fine...

Nice performing intake, and looks different and unique...

It looks good but I don't see it outperforming the traditional style intakes. The angles are a bit sharp for air to move efficiently and it looks as though a couple cylinders will get starved. If it had a dual TB setup that would be really nice. Even if it did perform up to par, BBK's quality is another issue with this thing.
Kevin

Had one ............ it sucked

IAC valve hit ............ grinder time
FPR hit ..................... grinder time
was missing small part ........... came right away with call to BBK
hit stock hood

Tight fit along back firewall, works but kind of a pain.

need casting flash removed inside.

whistled like a banshee

sucked TONS of oil thru PCV system, i think from their
strange or lack there of baffle design.

Thing sucked, couldn't rid of it fast enough.

r. barn - Did you install the baffle according to the BBK instructions, I believe Bryan Rogers has addressed this many times. Sorry you had problems, I hadn't seen those before, maybe from you before...

They just came out with the BBK SSI-R, too. That may help oldschool make his decision if someone has some info or heard any reviews on that one. I believe it comes without the fuel rails and injectors so maybe less room for error on BBK's part if that's where it started in the first place.

Hizzle said:
They just came out with the BBK SSI-R, too. I believe it comes without the fuel rails and injectors so maybe less room for error on BBK's part if that's where it started in the first place.

The original SSI didn't come with injectors anyway. The only reason it comes with fuel rails is, unlike every other intake, the factory fuel rails don't fit the SSI.

I have read a lot on this intake as I really want to get one, it seems that all the kinks have been ironed out and it works great. I just cant justify the cost.it is easily twice the cost of a gt40 intake. perhaps one day I will find a decent used one for sale

I have read a lot on this intake as I really want to get one, it seems that all the kinks have been ironed out and it works great. I just cant justify the cost.it is easily twice the cost of a gt40 intake. perhaps one day I will find a decent used one for sale

The BBK SSI cost $1200:shrug:

A GT40 cost around $600 if I recall correctly...

wow, where are you shopping? last I looked the SSI was about 700, and I can find a decently used gt40 or cobra intake for about 300.

First off, I was using sarcasm, because it was said by you that the BBK piece was two times the amount of the Gt40 piece.

Now, I was hoping that you weren't trying to compare a used part to a new part;)

So I compared new vs. new, that is fair right?:)

The BBK SSI runs for $580 on summit NEW. You can get the throttle body with it for $760. The BBK SSI 5001 or 5002 comes with new fuel rails as well.

Now, go ahead and look up the price for a new Gt40, if you can find it...

You will be able to find a BBK SSI used for a similar price.

I believe the part number for the GT-40 was...M-6001-A50. The lower cost $277 from summit. The whole kit was $590 or something like that when they used to the sell the whole Gt-40 intake manifold.

r. barn - Did you install the baffle according to the BBK instructions, I believe Bryan Rogers has addressed this many times. Sorry you had problems, I hadn't seen those before, maybe from you before...

Yes stupid bottom valley cover plate was on right.
The BBK doesnt really have a PCV baffle.
It has a plate that you screw on that covers the entire lifter valley
and it leaves a small gap with back edge of block for the PCV
to breath thru.

The center area of the upper had some SERIOUS casting flash too.
runners looked good, but center chamber had some huge casting
flash where the mold seems were, needed some serious attention
from a grinder.

When you try and mount TB with IAC attached you will see the
little cutout they have already made for it is not big enough.

I dont really believe in having to grind on a new $600 intake...................

I talked to Brain lots on the phone when I had it and
he was very helpful, but for the money and all the headaches
and the LOUD whistle at idle, I was thoroughly UNIMPRESSED.

There is always Edlebrock Vic Jr EFI ........ aka Spyder
$350 intake, $80 fuelrails, $150 TB elbow ...... $580

Sure does look cool
P6022765.jpg

Attachments

• P6022765.jpg
    P6022765.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 711