BBK underdrive pulleys show only??

theman1990

Aug 16, 2004
Someone told me that the underdrive pulleys are show only, cuz they don't have a harmonic balancer, only a chunk of polished aluminum? IS that true???

How do you get the FRIGGIN nut off the crank???! Impact AND breaker bar won't budge it!!

• Sponsors (?)

theman1990 said:
Someone told me that the underdrive pulleys are show only, cuz they don't have a harmonic balancer, only a chunk of polished aluminum? IS that true???

How do you get the FRIGGIN nut off the crank???! Impact AND breaker bar won't budge it!!
no not true at all, U/d pullies are a great mod. there are cheap ones out there that dont have the balancer that dont do much but look good, but the ones from steeda are good. unfortunately it is true that they dont gain a whole lot of power on 4.6l. Joe at mustang magic put a set on his GT and only got 4rwhp. thats sad considering 5.0s get as much as 14rwhp out of them. i dont know if it was just his GT or every 4.6l. anyone have u/d pullies that can clear up the power gains for us?

I bought the steeda ones used off the classified ads here on stangnet for $75. Along with the TA(also paid 75 for that) did seem to give me a little more power, no dyno #'s though. You need a GOOD impact wrench to get the nut off, I kept trying with my moms impact wrench only to find out she got it free(usually free=junk). I had to pay a mechanic at ford $60 to install both but for $210 total price I am very happy, no charging problems or anything.

theman1990,

If you're considering underdrives go for steeda and what ever year that corrresponds to your year car. Second to remove the harmonic balancer bolt keep your car in 5th gear so it won't rotate and get it off with a breaker bar. Easy if you know what to do. Everything else should fall into place. You'll need a puller to get that harmonic balancer off btw. If you don't know how to use it, get someone who knows. Use the "steeda bolt" ONLY to press in the steeda harmonic balancer. Take it back out and use the stock bolt. Gains are usually anywhere from 4-6rwhp, don't know the tq numbers. It smooths out revs and makes the car feel like it's not straining at high rpms. i'm at 4-5k and it does not feel like it.

T/a adjuster. Very good mod. average 6rwhp and 15rwtq. Saves gas, gains power, and is always adjustable back to stock timing. Get it. DO IT DO IT DO IT :D

forgot to mention. Get rid of your BBK pulleys. get Steeda. If you're planning on getting a steeda timing adjuster i suggest you get steeda ud's. :nice:

Every bolt on counts. I have quite a bit of bolts ons and producing near 270rwhp and 300+rwtq. Have fun