Beat Cops on Broadway

joeythesaint

Feb 9, 2003
Seattle
I had The Skunk out for a roll yesterday afternoon, parked it on Broadway right outside Julia's (in the yellow zone, which no one ever figures out is FREE on Sundays) and my wife and I got a nice seat on the sidewalk cafe right next to it, put back a few drinks, and watched people walk by and crane their necks at the car. :D Cheap thrills.

Two beat cops came down the street and were magnetized right to it. "Oh, s---," says my beautiful bride. "Yeah," I said, "I'll go talk to 'em." They were peering into the cut-out on the hood, and commenting to each other.

"It's my car, officer," I said as I walked up to them. "That intake is legal; it's not a pollution-controlled vehicle."

"Oh, I know," he said, "I have a Roadrunner with dual quads. You never see these anymore. I was checking out the linkage. Do you run mechanical or vacuum secondaries?"

:flag: "Vacuum secondaries. I built the linkage myself. Those are Holley 390 cfm marine carburetors. Check it out. . . ." I popped the hood. His partner was a young guy, who kept his mouth mostly shut while the old cop and I delved into the arcana of balancing dual quads for street applications.

We stood there, bulls----ing about cars for about ten minutes with the hood up. Beautiful afternoon.

Beat cops > traffic cops > > > > > > > > Staters.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you had a better run in than we did with SPD yesterday. Corey, Steve and myself went and hungout over at Shilshole Bay. The placed was absolutely packed, no where to park. So we parked in the marina boat launch lot with about 50 other cars. I guess the cop had nothing else better to do, so he ran all of us out of there. It was technically a lot for boat trailered vehicles, but it was almost dark, and no one was putting in, and there were still lots of spots. I guess he was just bored. Sad thing is after we left and went up to the over look that is above the marina he was down there for another hour on his PA.

And Joey there is a dyno day coming up on the 24th in Lakewood, $30 first pull, $10 each additional, $30 extra for A/F.

You will find out that most Police officers are extreme car nuts and have many of the same interests that we do.

I love it how when cops do their jobs that they must have nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

99GTTony, were you in the parking lot right by the Golden Gardens entrance? I was leaving Rays Boathouse a bit after 8 and saw a cop in the lot with his lights on, and a bunch of mustangs, including a black convertible like the one in yer sig.

Jeff

Yep, that was us.

And Johnnb, I don't have a thing against cops at all, with my job, I have a good working relationship with SPD, and King County PD. This one was bored, he rode around for a long time by us a few times before he decided to do anything. There was still plenty of parking left, and there was relatively no boating traffic. The only reason people were parking in there was due to the main lots were totally full, and the streets were packed in the parking zones.