Beautiful on the outside. Ugly on the inside.

AP1995V6

Jul 13, 2003
Oxford, MS
Personally, I hate the red interior that came with my car so I'm buying all black pieces for it. I would dye it, but I don't want to deal with the fading and such. I actually thought about dying all the red plastic to white, but that involves the dying that I'm not sure I want to mess with.

I was wondering if anyone knows how much new door panels, quarter panels, and dash would be directly from Ford? Depending on the price difference, I may try Stangparts if there is a rather large difference between Stangparts over priced used items and Ford's new items.

I may try to the dye thing this next weekend if I get bored and if Ford's prices are way steep. Any suggestions for white dyes/paints for plastic and vinyl?

About 2 weeks until my Saleen face lift comes in as well. For some reason, they shipped my s351 wing before the rest of the stuff :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

When I painted some of my interior panels, I did buy two new door panels from Ford, like where the power window switches are. Those parts were not too much, I think $20 each. But when I asked how much for the part that holds the radio and HVAC, that little thing was over $200! :jaw: So I said F that. I painted the one I had. It turned out OK, sorta, but I recommend having it done professionally if you can afford it. I would have loaded up a picture, but my digital camera's completely dead. I'll do it later.

I'm going hit up the auto parts stores this afternoon and see if I can't get some interior dye to match the exterior then I'll have at the door panels this weekend.

I'm going to dye the entire lower half of the door panel and maybe the bezel on each door.

If all else fails, I'll hit up some all black panels from Stangparts. I located a website last night that claims to sell genuine ford parts, and the door panels are $500 each so screw that :)

I'll post pictures if I get around to doing it this weekend. :nice:

Yeah, the new panels are going to be insanely expensive- either from Ford or from the aftermarket.

I've had great results from using vinyl dye. The key is surface preparation. You have to make sure that every last bit of Armor-All type products is removed, using paint thinner. Lightly scuffing the surface with fine grit sandpaper will help, too.

OK here's my interior.. I pried out the panels, sanded them with fine sandpaper, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, then sprayed them with paint from autozone. It took quite a few light coats, if you do heavy coats you screw it up. Then a few coats of clear gloss over it when you are done. It took me quite a while, but I think it looks all right. It's not professional quality, but it's good enough for now.

Attachments

• Interior.JPG
    Interior.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 177
Took me too long.... I screwed up the original door panels by painting them too heavily, got run marks all over them, so I had to go buy new ones. Overall about 2 weeks, and during that time I was cruisin around with my radio, cd player, and power window switches dangling around by their wires. I'm glad it's done, but would I do it again, by myself? Probably not..

b52yellow said:
Mustang writing on the passenger side has anybody done that part yet

Guys just pull the parts out, mask them off, and rattle can them. It isn't a hard process. The letters on the dash and logo on the steering wheel must be done by hand with a fine model brush.

53400009.jpg

53400007.jpg

53400015.jpg

AndyG47 said:
Guys just pull the parts out, mask them off, and rattle can them. It isn't a hard process. The letters on the dash and logo on the steering wheel must be done by hand with a fine model brush.

53400009.jpg

53400007.jpg

I've been thinking about painting the mustang signature in mine but I'm not sure. I want it to last. How is it holding up on yours? By the way, my friend has the same head unit as you. Pretty good :nice:

I haven't gotten around to painting my interior yet due to being tied down with school and such. I have the interior of my car completely stripped since I got some Corbeau seats and new black carpet so I'm just waiting on enough time to dye the interior. However, I'm trying to remove the dash and I feel a bit uncomfortable removing it without a diagram or instructions so I was wondering if anyone knows of a book/website that talks about dash removal? The Haynes guide doesn't mention it anywhere. I have everything removed that's obvious but the dash is still stuck in there and I don't want to force it if it's still bolted to something I'm missing.

AP1995V6 said:
I haven't gotten around to painting my interior yet due to being tied down with school and such. I have the interior of my car completely stripped since I got some Corbeau seats and new black carpet so I'm just waiting on enough time to dye the interior. However, I'm trying to remove the dash and I feel a bit uncomfortable removing it without a diagram or instructions so I was wondering if anyone knows of a book/website that talks about dash removal? The Haynes guide doesn't mention it anywhere. I have everything removed that's obvious but the dash is still stuck in there and I don't want to force it if it's still bolted to something I'm missing.

Which part of the dash are you refering to?