Been thinking about going with a 393...

Chowder Head

Dec 30, 2003
Tampa, FL
I've been tossing the idea around and was wondering if you guys can answer some of my questions.

1. How high does the new hood have to be? The cowl...
2. How is the drivabilty? This is my daily driver and it's gotta be able to handle the road quite a lot.
3. Are mufflers differnet from a 302 based car vs. a 351 and above? Or is it just the headers that are different.
4. What are the parts I will need?
5. How much $$$ are we talking about here?

Thanks all for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Chowder Head said:
I've been tossing the idea around and was wondering if you guys can answer some of my questions.

1. How high does the new hood have to be? The cowl...
2. How is the drivabilty? This is my daily driver and it's gotta be able to handle the road quite a lot.
3. Are mufflers differnet from a 302 based car vs. a 351 and above? Or is it just the headers that are different.
4. What are the parts I will need?
5. How much $$$ are we talking about here?

Thanks all for the help.

1) not sure, but you most likely will need at least a Cobra R hood.
2)should be fine, depends on cam
3) No, just headers. Although you'll need bigger pipes than stock, so if you're stock now, you'll need whole new exhaust.
4)Everything you can think of.
5)$8K-15K

1) depends on the intake your using my trick flow R just bairly cleared a concept designs cobra rr hood the one with the extra scoop on the r scoop. My hogan upper took some cutting (nothing major) but it does fit.... Stock motor mounts
2) A lot has to do with the size of the cam a 112-114 lobe sep is recommended and if you keep the duration down it should be ok.But a chip or tweecer is highly recommended.
3)It requires different headers, and my h-pipe didn't fit right so I had to buy a new on of those also. I bought a Mac prochamber because it has a ball/socket on the pipe for a little more adjustment.
4) do a search for the parts there are a quite a few threads on this topic
5)It won't be cheap but IMO it worth it.