Before it was a car, what did the word 'Camaro' mean?

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle
Where did Chevy come up with the name "Camaro"

A Mustang is a wild horse.
A Thunderbird makes sense even if it isn't a real bird.

Even 'Road Runner' makes sense.

I have always wondered where the name 'Camaro' came from, but no one seems to know

:shrug:
jason

• Sponsors (?)

Poneypower-
I figured I would get pure BS answers, and was ok with that.
Good response.

I may be way off, but I think I remember this correctly.
Weren't the original founders of Chevrolet a couple of French brothers who raced for Ford? Ford did something that pissed them off, so they started their own car company to continue racing
???

I heard this as a story from a Professor in college, if I was paying attention...
If this is correct, then finding a random French word for a new vehicle would make a little more sense...

jason

Poneypower-
I figured I would get pure BS answers, and was ok with that.
Good response.

I may be way off, but I think I remember this correctly.
Weren't the original founders of Chevrolet a couple of French brothers who raced for Ford? Ford did something that pissed them off, so they started their own car company to continue racing
???

I heard this as a story from a Professor in college, if I was paying attention...
If this is correct, then finding a random French word for a new vehicle would make a little more sense...

jason

For a very interesting biography of Louis Chevrolet, see http://www.bookrags.com/biography/louis-chevrolet/.

It seems that he was the inventor of the roll bar, or one of the first racers to use one.

I'll play the devil's advocate here. We question the name camaro and whether or not chevrolet was started by a couple of french ex Ford men. Now consider the following statement: Ford Mustang Cobra. Both a horse and a snake? Was the once proud and mighty mustang, perhaps the most significant animal in american history, suffering from a little penis envy? that we deemed it necessary to inject a little venom into it, so he could regain a feeling of self-worth, and challenge it's competition once again with it's newly found self confidence and might? Consider it closely guys. Then later still: Ford Mustang GT Cobra. Seesh! Make sure we squeeze the GT in there just in case there is any doubt! Yes it is a 5.0, you better recognize! I mean we go around making fun of ricers with their million and one logos, but come on. Hey, I've grown to love it, but consider it from the chevy man's perspective.

What perspective would that be, this one?

redneck.jpg