-beginner to 5 speed- Clutch Question (T-45)

• Sponsors (?)

tomustang said:
how do you loosen the clutch? it's so hard to put in, like no one ever loosened it through time. I want mine soft :( help me please :flag: heh

Well, a Mustang V8 clutch is not going to be like a Honda Civic one. The diaphram spring is considerably "heavier" because the required clamping load is much higher since the torque output of the engine is so much higher. In other words, what you're seeing may be "normal".

Of course, there is the possibility that the clutch cable is bad and creating alot of pedal effort. Or the car has an aftermarket monster clutch that'll hold a bazillion foot-pounds.

But even new and in ideal shape, I don't know that a Mustang clutch can be termed "soft"...

Stock is a baby compared to my wife's King Cobra...and prior to that, she had a Spec 2...now that was a bear.
After driving her car, I get into mine and about put my foot through the firewall...it's all what you are used to. I do recall when I first got my GT, how I thought it was a bit heavy. But not bothersome at all.

Only 5-spd cars i have ever driven regularly are Mustangs.

Once in a while i hop in a FWD 4-banger 5-spd and nearly put my foot through the floor because they are so light.

Then there is the whole deal with the 5-spd FWD shifter. Feels like a limp hot dog in your hand. :)

tomustang said:
actually alot of people have been telling me it's a bit too hard, i mean it is really tight. also i do have the TO bearing problem, think it's making it worse?

Like I said above, if the clutch really is abnormally hard to depress it could be the cable. It could also be that the car has an aftermarket clutch that has much stronger springs for more holding power. The release bearing won't make the clutch pedal hard to depress. Only if the sleeve it rides on (front bearing retainer on the transmission) is severely galled might you notice increased pedal effort. You'd notice a bad release bearing more from noise heard while the pedal was held to the floor (rumbling, squeeling etc) than anything else.

trinity_gt said:
Like I said above, if the clutch really is abnormally hard to depress it could be the cable. It could also be that the car has an aftermarket clutch that has much stronger springs for more holding power. The release bearing won't make the clutch pedal hard to depress. Only if the sleeve it rides on (front bearing retainer on the transmission) is severely galled might you notice increased pedal effort. You'd notice a bad release bearing more from noise heard while the pedal was held to the floor (rumbling, squeeling etc) than anything else.

i'm pretty sure the last owner put in a heavier clutch. makes sense. thanks everyone :nice:

tomustang said:
how do you loosen the clutch? it's so hard to put in, like no one ever loosened it through time. I want mine soft :( help me please :flag: heh

the softer the clutch the harder it will be able too control the engagement poiunt when racing.

plus to get a lighter pedal than stock you would have too sac. clamping power. not good.

or some quadrants change the ratio. if you hav ea aftermarket one that can increase the pedal effort.

to be honest i never tried too figure out what parts will make it softer than stock.

to me stock is way way way too soft.