BEHOLD!!! 87-93 2.5" Carbon Fiber Cowl FOUND!!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd rock it, as long as I clearcoated the hood first before bolting it on. I hear CF turns a nasty vomitous green color when left out in the sun and uncoated or unpainted.

If someone wants to go ahead and buy that hood and ship it to my house, I'll gladly put it on my notch and take pics so everyone else can decide if it looks any good, or not. :D

VIS makes stock style hoods. I was looking into a induction style. Black and white is the only 2 colors I guess would go with CF. Anything else belongs on ricers only.

VIS also makes a cowl induction hood, trust me.

a quality CF hood will NOT change color in the sun. A UV protective clearcoat must be applied to it from the manufacturer to keep it from yellowing/turning green/etc.

CF is stronger than fiberglass every day of the week, THATS why race teams use CF in thier cars. CF CAN be painted and there is no reason not to paint it.

I hear everyone saying fiberglass is better to buy. CF auto parts started in race applications because if its lightwieght and strength properties. They are better than fiberglass hands down (i know i repeated myself, but i need to drive this point home)

How many of you can honestly say you needed that 3" cowl hood on your stock height motor? If you are truly doing it for weight savings, and not for looks, why not just get a stock height aftermarket hood (yes, they DO make them)

The Buy it now price is $399, and it is going for $289 right now and there doesn't look to be a reserve on it. You guys are saying that is expensive, plus he gives you the option to pick it up? That seems like a steal, especially since I live in Tucson, and it's only a 5 hour drive. Wish I had the cash that's for sure.

i think it would be sweet to have a cf hood like on the 4eyes and then paint everything but the traditional cowl part....ya know what im tryin to get at? So the usual flat black painted part would be CF...might look nice

I was thinking the same thing. I've actually seen it on another car but it was a late model Camaro SS with a stripe coming out of the scoop. It looked pretty good.

BTW I'd almost bet money that those CF hoods are fiberglass hoods w/CF on top of them so there wouldn't be any weight savings over a glass hood. A complete CF hood would cost way more.

That price is ridiculously cheap for a CF hood, i dont know if i trust a no-name e-bay company like that...who knows how it will fit or what the quality of the material is...

but once again my point is this: unless you have a LEGIT competition related reason to choose CF over fiberglass, why the F would you spend the extra money (that a good CF hood usually costs) when it wont look any different once painted?? 9 out of 10 of us just want it for looks, so save a buck and go with fiberglass

That price is ridiculously cheap for a CF hood, i dont know if i trust a no-name e-bay company like that...who knows how it will fit or what the quality of the material is...

but once again my point is this: unless you have a LEGIT competition related reason to choose CF over fiberglass, why the F would you spend the extra money (that a good CF hood usually costs) when it wont look any different once painted?? 9 out of 10 of us just want it for looks, so save a buck and go with fiberglass

That still wouldn't give me a reason not to buy it if you are close to the seller. You could test it on before you pay for it I am sure. I realize you are the other side of the country, but tell me if the seller was in NJ and you were in the market for a hood you wouldn't want to try it on your car for fit? That is a good deal, if it is a decent quality hood.

CF is awesome, the strength combined with the ultra light weight, it's perfect.

Unpainted CF anything is rice, because it's saying "Hey look everyone I have expensive carbon fiber". I would get it and paint it like the rest of the car.

I don't care about advertising that it's a CF hood, I just look at it as matching the rest of my car's color, in general. :p

Besides, even a stock Fox will run circles around 75% of the cheesehead import dorks that have CF hoods, fenders, wings, dashboards, shifter knobs, cup holders, etc. Rice is like false advertising - y'know, saying your car has balls when the engine puts out less torque than I need to tighten lugnuts - or some overly expensive piece of crap that is completely non-functional in any way (or even counter-productive).

This particular CF cowl hood wouldn't fit the profile of "rice," IMHO, because 1. it's lighter than the stock steel hood, 2. cowl hoods usually help stuff breathe underneath, 3. leaves more room for future mods, 4. it costs about the same as a Cervini's fiberglass hood, 5. it's not 4" tall and doesn't go all the way back to the friggin' windshield, and 6. even if it turned green without a spray of clear on it, it'd still look better on my notch than the beat-to-death stocker that's on there right now. :D

I would take CF over any fiberglass anyday of the week. Seeing how much people want for their fiberglass hoods like cervinis, they are asking prices which are getting close what you can get a CF hood for. To my house in the bay area it will cost me about 500 bucks to my door.
Kevin