Bellhouse Pattern

chaka

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2002
Boston, MA
I was hoping to bolt in a 2.3 out of a 90's ranger I have. Basically just looking to replace the wheezy V6 currently in there. The ranger has the mazda 5-speed.
I know I would have to get a flexplate to match up. Do not plan on putting the 5-speed in as of yet since it is hydraulic clutch. Waiting for a T-5.

But are the bolt patterns the same? What about the starter? any other problems you guys foresee?

I have the complete engine (totaled ranger) I just want a nice reliable easy on the wallet Mustang II. Hoping to place a 2.3 turbo later on.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the Ranger is 2wd, then making the hydraulic clutch fit should be fairly easy. The hardest part will be mounting the master cylinder to the firewall (because of the angled mounting plate) Use the 2.3 with the flywheel, bellhousing, hydraulics, clutch/press. plate, tranny, and starter.

You'll probably find that the 2.3 has even less power than the V6, though. It WOULD be okay if it was a turbo 2.3 but that wasn't available on the Ranger....

I know the 2.3 was nice and peppy around town. A little more to be desired on the top end, but was fun to drive nonetheless. I am on the lookout for a 2.3 Turbo, but cash flow is tight at the moment and I think the 2.3 N/A will suffice for now.

So can I assume the tranny will bolt up to the 2.3??

chaka said:
So can I assume the tranny will bolt up to the 2.3??

That's why I'd go through the hassle of setting up the hydraulic system. The 2.3 and the 2.8 are different flywheels and bellhousings. You should be able to get a bellhousing for a 2.3 with a linkage type clutch, but I prefer the hydraulic setup (especially when you already have the parts)

When I get my 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' together and swap a 5.0 into my 2wd Ranger, I'll be very tempted to swap the T/K 5-speed from the Ranger into my Mustang (with the hydraulic setup) and the 2.9 into my 85 Bronco II (already have a tranny for that). It seems that my life is turning into a giant game of musical drivetrains
:D