bench racing... 13s?

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
I may be going to the track with the 97 GT in a few weeks. Previously, I could run consisten 14.4's at 96mph on all season tires and the only modification was an offroad H pipe. I squeeked out a 14.2 and a 14.3 with lots of practice and the weather was pretty good as I recall. The 60's were 2.1-2.2.

The only changes since then are underdrive pulleys (piggy back) and a drop in K&N... so I'm guessing an extra 2hp. :rlaugh: This time, I would swap on the nitto drag radials from the 88 too. :D

So let's go bench racing. Can I pull off a 13 second run? I think it would be possible if everything is working perfectly. I'll have to launch the nuts off the car, power shift every gear and hope for cool weather with high pressure. What's your guess? I'm guessing 14.05 at 97mph.

Ohhh, last thing... any suggestion where to shift? Bone stock, I always shifted at 5k on the nose, for every gear, but now it pulls a little better up top. It is definately happier to rev to 5500 now, but I'm just not sure if it is worth running it out that high or not.

• Sponsors (?)

i think you have a realy strong running car, heat them nitto's up real good leave hard ,drive it like you stole it. and i would think you might just be able to crack off a 13.99 pass, but if you dont..... i know somebody looking to get rid of a set of 373's for realy cheap:D

and try shifting about 53-5500

well i have alot more done to my car than yours but, your car seems to be stronger based on times to mods.
with a good, hard launch, 1.9x on the 60 foot i wouldnt say 13s are out of the question
ive run 2 13 second passes with my car 1.92 60ft 13.96@ 97.35 & 1.90 60ft
[email protected] both were on street tires with a 4k rpm launch and shifting @ 6k

I'm not sure why, but this car has always run a little stronger than the others. Bone stock, it ran 14.6x @ 95mph, with a piss poor 2.2 and worse 60' times.
Nice to see some 13 second runs with a 97mph trap speed. Might just be possible for me, with practice of course.

If you go with the rule of thumb that dropping .1 in the 60' drops 1/4 mile time by .2, you've got a good shot at doing it. On DRs, I went from a 2.1 on stock tires to a 1.9, so it worked for me, but I added more mods as well than you. Go for it!

with my 98gt the only things I have are a bassani ex. stock manifolds, a pi intake, upper plenum, 4.10s. cai. and I portmatched the heads to the intake. it went 14.20 with a 2.2 60ft. at 99.5 mph. it was literally raining on my last pass and that's when I went that time, but I've fixed a missing problem it had and fixed some other things to make it run better. so I have no doubt the car could go some 13.85s if I could launch it better.

Seems to me that these NPI mustangs are under rated. I'm seeing a bunch with very minor modifications running fast as PI cars.

The weather for Wednesday is looking good so far. We'll see if I actually get to make some passes or not! :nice:

The only changes since last time are under drive pullies and a drop in K&N. I should have a pretty good idea of the power difference from the mph. The weather will be similar it looks like... so like, 0.5 mph faster. :rlaugh: