Bent Axle, need legal and mechanical advice

GreyDiesel

Jul 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Okay, here is the situation. I spun out on snow the other day and hit a curb. I filed a claim and took it into a body shop for a quote. Here is what they told me I needed:

Wheels
Tires
Rotor
Pan Hard Bar

I figure, no problem, I'll buy all that stuff myself. So I cash settled and place an order for new wheels.

Now, I get home, take off the old broke wheels, and I find the rear axle is bent.

My question is twofold.

One: Anyone know a good place to get a new stock rear axle?

Two: Anyone have advice on how I can/should approuch my insurance about the bad quote? What if the whole rear axle assembly needs to be replaced? Am I stuck with the bill?

Here are two photos to illustrate the problem. The first is my driver side axle which seems to be fine.
rear-driver-axle.jpg

The second is my passenger side axle which is clearly bent. You cant really tell in the photo, but if you spin it, the space between axle and axle shaft wobbles between zero and 2mm. It is also and leaking some sort of oil out of a nearbye nipple. Which actually brings up a third question, what is nipple and how to I fix it?
rear-passenger-axle.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If the axle is bent I would say the axle tubes are bent in which case you will require an entire new rear end. You can get entire rear axle assembly with Cobra clutch pack and 31 spline axles already assembles and ready to bolt up. As for how to approach your insurance company just call them and tell them their estimator missed the bend rear.

You can get a new complete OEM axle assembly from newtakeoff.com for $600

2005-2009 Mustang GT 8.8 Rear Axle Assembly 3.31:1Ratio w/ABS w/Trac-Loc

FRPP sells an upgraded version with 3.55 gears, traction lock, and 31 spline axles for $1099

Ford Racing Performance Parts []

Is the "nipple" that you're talking about the black protrusion to the left of the axle shaft? If so, this is the ABS sensor that senses the wheel speed by using the tone ring (the notched sprocket looking ring). Oil cannot leak from the sensor, as it is on the outside of the axleshaft, and goes through a hole in the back plate. Often grease is put on the tone ring and the sensor for lubrication. So, is there actually gear oil leaking, or just grease on the components? If the axle is bent, then I would have a shop verify it. Also, I agree that you should just call the insurance company and voice your concern.

2005+ Mustang GTs come from the factory with 31 spline axles so that's no upgrade. The FRPP axle is just a Mustang GT rear axle with 3.55 gears and the LS. Nothing different about it. It's also unpainted. The NTO axles would be a good deal though if his insurance won't cover it. I think his insurance should step up though.

It does look like I am going to get a NTO 4.10 axle assembly. I dont want to just get the axle and then find the housing is ever so slightly out of whack after doing all the work to put in the new axle. Its a major hit to the wallet, but the insurance should cover it.

I have not received the cash settlement check yet, so I am going to see what I have to do to get them to up the amount to cover the new axle assembly, or at the very least the cost of a new axle, axle seal, and labor which should be in the same ballpark.

Anyone know if NTO has a forum discount code? I would hate to purchase the thing and then discover I could have saved 100 bucks if I only knew the code. I have contacted NTO but not heard anything (which I assume is because it is the weekend)

If they do have a code, please PM me with it. I think it against forum rules to talk/post about discount codes. I want to be clear that I am not asking for the code to be publicly posted, I just want to know if one exists.

I have tons of experience with the insurance adjusters. anything you need to know, just ask. you can call the insurance company and let them know that you will need a supplement to the original claim. really common practice. once the car is torn down, you will usually find additional damage that is not visible with other parts installed. the adjuster will come out and want to see the vehicle in the "torn down" state, meaning you will need to have the car up on stands and wheels removed to show him the damage.

in regards to the rear end, I have the rear in my car now that will be coming out soon. you will need to swap your carrier and gears into it, but i would be willing to give it to you for the cost of fuel to meet you somewhere. let me know what you think about it. just keep in mind that the axle assembly is still in the car and I would have to pull it out and swap my new axle assembly into the car first. May not fit in your time frame for repairs. just shoot me an email and I can discuss it with you, or call me if you have my phone number still.