Best all season for Hole shots

willys1

Dec 2, 2003
New Jersey
I have 16 inch pony wheels,rite now I have Sumotmo's(225 55) theyre great in the rain but when punch it out,anywhere from 0--15 mph I get an awful lot of wheel spin!( aod,shift kit,2800 stall,3.73's)Is there a tire (all season) that has a really good bite? (when its dry out)

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you're going to find anything that will not spin under those conditions. What you're doing to the torque convertor is called FLASH. It's when you're revving at relatively low RPM and suddenly mash the gas to the floor. Although the convertor may have a stall speed of 2800 RPM since you are flashing the convertor the RPM may jump way higher than that for an instant. The amount of flash that the convertor has is dependant on how loose the convertor was built. The flash can be close to 500 RPM in some convertors. So you are stomping the gas, the car revs right into the thick of it's torque curve and the tires break loose. There really is not much you can do about that with an all season radial.

Maryland Stang said:
I don't think you're going to find anything that will not spin under those conditions. What you're doing to the torque convertor is called FLASH. It's when you're revving at relatively low RPM and suddenly mash the gas to the floor. Although the convertor may have a stall speed of 2800 RPM since you are flashing the convertor the RPM may jump way higher than that for an instant. The amount of flash that the convertor has is dependant on how loose the convertor was built. The flash can be close to 500 RPM in some convertors. So you are stomping the gas, the car revs right into the thick of it's torque curve and the tires break loose. There really is not much you can do about that with an all season radial.
Flash,that explains it!With my old gears(2.73) If I held the brake and floored it,it wouldnt break loose,then when I let go of the break it would spin,but nothing like just punching it out from a stand still with no brakes.Thanks!

willys1 wrote:

Flash,that explains it!With my old gears(2.73) If I held the brake and floored it,it wouldnt break loose,then when I let go of the break it would spin,but nothing like just punching it out from a stand still with no brakes.Thanks!

You get an "A" for grasping the concept perfectly! Now here's the really cool part about torque convertor flash. You can use it at the track to get the perfect launch. You see the amount of flash can be controlled. As you already know you can hit it hard and get the full flash effect or you can can build the RPM up slowly and get no flash at all. You can also give the car say, 1600 RPM and then mash the gas. This will give you some flash but not the full effect. You can to some degree and practice launch the car difference ways to make up for track conditions like if the track is slippery you would want less flash. Or say you bought your Goodyear slicks and you can't quite find the right tire pressure. Just play with the flash to get the right launch.

Maryland Stang said:
willys1 wrote:

You get an "A" for grasping the concept perfectly! Now here's the really cool part about torque convertor flash. You can use it at the track to get the perfect launch. You see the amount of flash can be controlled. As you already know you can hit it hard and get the full flash effect or you can can build the RPM up slowly and get no flash at all. You can also give the car say, 1600 RPM and then mash the gas. This will give you some flash but not the full effect. You can to some degree and practice launch the car difference ways to make up for track conditions like if the track is slippery you would want less flash. Or say you bought your Goodyear slicks and you can't quite find the right tire pressure. Just play with the flash to get the right launch.
Yup,with a little practice that can work to my advantage.Thanks!