Engine Best Cam For Application?

WWII HiStOrIaN

Nov 28, 2016
Hi, I have a 1997 Mustang GT that is pretty much bone stock other than a cai. I want to do a PI swap and throw aftermarket cams in while I'm at it. What's a good set of cams and valve springs that have a decent sound & output? Any advice is greatly apriciated.

Thanks, Keith

• Sponsors (?)

Well my first question to you would be what are your future plans? Because depending on whether boost is in the works or not depends on what cam you'll want. Also (and no offense) have you looked up the entire price of a cams and springs? I know it blew me away when I checked.

My next suggestion would be to get supporting mods while you do the PI swap. Headers, throttle body, plenum, exhaust, the whole works. I don't know what your budget is or if you're going to take it to a shop but you'd be surprised what the thing can do without an aggressive cam. I had all of the bolt ons I mentioned with the full PI swap no tune and I made 300 to the wheels! I'm not trying to discourage you from what you had planned just letting you know the other options out there

Well my first question to you would be what are your future plans? Because depending on whether boost is in the works or not depends on what cam you'll want. Also (and no offense) have you looked up the entire price of a cams and springs? I know it blew me away when I checked.

My next suggestion would be to get supporting mods while you do the PI swap. Headers, throttle body, plenum, exhaust, the whole works. I don't know what your budget is or if you're going to take it to a shop but you'd be surprised what the thing can do without an aggressive cam. I had all of the bolt ons I mentioned with the full PI swap no tune and I made 300 to the wheels! I'm not trying to discourage you from what you had planned just letting you know the other options out there

Boost is not in my plans for the future but all the rest is. I forgot to mention that I already have an offroad x pipe with slp loudmouth 1s installed.

Unless you're after a super-lumpy idle at the cost of low RPM torque (e.g. using Comp XE270AH cams) I'd stick with Comp 262AH cams; you can see 20 or more HP near redline with no loss down low with these cams and can stay with stock springs if they're in good shape. I'm running 262AHs and am on the stock springs with zero issues. If you're worried about staying stock Comp's 26113 beehives would do a great job.

I ran MHS stage 2 NA npi cams in my '98. With stock midpipe, stock intake tube, stock NPI heads, and PI manifold it made ~240 rwhp and ~290 rwtq on a Dyno Dynamics dyno which run lower than mustang dynos.

However it ran high 13s in the 1/4 and I never lost a street race. From a dig it was a beast.

With an off road mid-pipe and headers I'm guessing it would have been more like 270 rwhp. LTs help the NPI cars a ton with cams