Best cost to performance ratio upgrades?

Lopez10GT

Apr 10, 2011
I just grabbed up a 2010 GT Premium mustang a few days ago. Got rid of my 2010 Lariat F-150. Been wanting a Mustang for a good 15 years now.

With that being said. It is time to satisfy another hunger.

I am looking to upgrade the car as soon as possible. I need some recommendations on the best upgrades to start off with that would not require a tune and if so what ones you would recommend even if that is required.

Looking to stack on another 50-60 quick horsepower if possible. Just looking for some experienced inputs on what people have done with their Stangs for a quick upgrade.

From what I can see it already has a Cold Air Intake.

Thanks ahead of time for any inputs. It is very appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

There's no way you're going to get 50-60 HP without a tune. And that kind of power increase, you're looking at needing LT's and a good mid-pipe, cams, intake, a good tune, etc. Any more than that power level and you'll need either motor work, nitrous, or forced induction to reach your goal.

Definately wanting to put some money into it. Long term the real goal is to have the car I have always wanted.

Gonna go with your recommendation Jaybex. Just grab a lifetime tune option so I can just send the ECM in as needed. Probably worth it for sure with mods here and there.

So the Supercharger options?

Roush

Whipple

Another question. I noticed this Stang has a CAI in it already. Was that something ford added in the 10's?

On top of the cost of the superchargers themselves what is the average expected installation cost by a shop? Curious if anyone has dealt with that or if you just did it yourselves. Imagine it is not terrible... but new cars aren't the old 350's and 351's I have messed with awhile back that aren't EFI.

i would of picked up a '11 gt that would of netted you 110 hp off the start :p
LOL, no kidding! Seriously, you're going to need a tune right off the bat. "AM" will send you a tuner and lifetime tunes for <$400, but you might as well add a new CAI to help eek out more hp. That's assuming you don't already have a tune. I say this because JUST a CAI alone isn't going to net you what the unit would have cost the original owner.

CAI, exhaust, pulleys, they will net you a quick jump in hp, but that's not necessarily what I would recommend. You said your goal is to have the car you've always wanted. I don't mean to come off as sarcastic... this is a literal question: WHAT is the car you've always wanted? Describe it. There are a million different directions you could go with this car.

For the sake of conversation, I want to tell you about a 2010 I rode in recently. It was easily one of the most impressive cars I've been around.
It is one of the display vehicles for UPR Products. The car ran a 10.17@138 in the quarter mile, but if you never put your foot in the throttle, you'd never
guess that this car made 660hp to the tire. It's a pretty amazing combination of street civility and strip brutality! :eek: The biggest kick in the pants is courtesy of the Roush supercharger. The car is suprisingly tame though. Anyway, here's a thread I wrote about it:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ts-10-second-2010-mustang-gt-convertible.html

In my opinion, other than the fact that I'm not crazy about convertibles, I think that car is as close to being a perfect streetcar as it gets. I could totally see my wife taking the kids to soccer practice in this thing, and then me taking it to the track to hustle some people. :D Nice. :flag:

Hit the nail on the head in my thinking Sharad. I want a that daily driver car but at the same time a sleeper. Not ground FX or wipe open ram air hood obvious type things but the hidden stuff you wouldn't know about.

Don't get me wrong the price just wasn't right in this area for the 2011's. They do weight about 150+ lbs more. Not a massive deals but cuts some of that HP difference off the top and the Torque you would think would be a tad higher at least meeting that HP number.

Got a great deal on this one so I grabbed it up.