Best drag suspension

KrazZ27

Feb 16, 2008
I have been looking around at different post from people with stock motor and tranny's running 12's. Obviously they have been taking a good amount of weight out of the car adding slicks and so on.. I just want to know what kinda of suspension setup do they run or for that matter what is the best drag setup for stock or modified a motor??

• Sponsors (?)

For the money and quality TeamZ is hard to beat. Send Dave Z. an email and he'll tell you what is needed for your application. For our 92 we chose to buy the entire front and rear suspension. You can buy these in sections obviously and I'll bet you'll be blown away by the price for the quality. My 94GT had full Steeda suspension with exception of a QA1 K-Member (not the best quality K-Member). We looked into Maximum Motorsports but it's pricey and we couldn't get enough answers to our questions. Dave Z. responded in like 30 minutes of the first email. He talked to my buddy on Sunday early AM for over an hour. The reason why yellowbullet.com forums and people swear by TeamZ is because of Dave.

Website. All units powder coated and made in the USA.
Team Z Motorsports - Suspension Kits and Components for hardcore Mustangs & more!

Entire front and rear suspension for FOX body Mustang.
de8628c7.jpg

Attachments

• de8628c7.jpg
    de8628c7.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 9,705
I have been looking around at different post from people with stock motor and tranny's running 12's. Obviously they have been taking a good amount of weight out of the car adding slicks and so on.. I just want to know what kinda of suspension setup do they run or for that matter what is the best drag setup for stock or modified a motor??

Mine was a pretty mild setup. Not "full drag suspension" by any means. Here's an article I wrote in 5.0 Mustang Magazine about my 12-second stock motor experiment:

1989 Ford Mustang LX - Fox Buildup

I'll point out that the car was my daily driver at the time, and it was a lot of fun!

What was your cars weight after tearing it down? Did you leave the full interior? Kind of thought there would have to be more takin off then what u listed, sounded kind of like i was reading an ad on who to buy parts from, rather then what would be the best parts to achieve my goal with.

What was your cars weight after tearing it down? Did you leave the full interior? Kind of thought there would have to be more takin off then what u listed, sounded kind of like i was reading an ad on who to buy parts from, rather then what would be the best parts to achieve my goal with.

You lost me on that one man. I'm not sure what you mean. In your original post, you mentioned people running 12s with the stock motor & trans, and asked "I just want to know what kinda of suspension setup do they run or for that matter what is the best drag setup for stock or modified a motor??"

I thought I explained it all pretty thoroughly in the article, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

I never weighed the car, but based on previous Mustangs I've built and raced, I'd say it was between 3000-3100lbs. It had the full interior and a dvd player. You said you kinda thought there would be more taking off than that (presumably to run a 12 on the stock motor) but no, the article details exactly what I did to run 12.91 @ 103.7. As far as your comment about my article being an ad on who to buy parts from rather than what would be the best parts to achieve your goal, I have to disagree considering that your original post specifically asks about how to run 12s on the stock motor & trans, which is exactly what I did.

You don't have to completely gut the car to run twelves. Good control arms, sticky tires, and the driver mod are the biggest ingredients, but obviously there were some minor bolt ons and weight reduction that I mentioned in there as well.

I had Lakewood 90-10's front struts, and 50-50 backs, let me tell you what, for cheap stuff, you cant beat it!!

Funny you say that... in this day and age of super cool double adjustable dampeners (I'm not hatin'... I've got DA coilovers on the front & rear of my True Street car now!) the quickest I've been in the quarter mile was on Lakewood 90/10s and 50/50s. LOL! (10.17 @ 132 with a 1.39 60') :D

I like the look of that Team Z K member. Anybody know if I can use my stock A arms with it? Or do you have to switch to coil overs like MM's K member?

I do not believe you can run stock arms on the Team Z piece, not sure why you would want to unless you are not a fan of coil overs.

I like the UPR and the Team Z parts. I have personally had great success with both companies over the years. I sell both....

FWIW- back in the day I went 12.89 @ 104mph on a 1.600 60ft...stock motor with 1.7 rockers, ram air, long tubes and full exhaust, ssm rear control arms, stock uppers boxed, 3:73s, eibach drag launch kit, Lakewood 70/30s and 50/50s, car had no a/c and a cowl hood, drag lites with m&h racemaster dot tires 26" x 10". Drove it like I stole it...broken t5's to prove it..lol

I like the look of that Team Z K member. Anybody know if I can use my stock A arms with it? Or do you have to switch to coil overs like MM's K member?

The only K-Member you can use stock A-Arms with is the QA1. You have to grind down some of the stock A-Arm so it can flex on the K-Member. I had that on my 94GT. Although the quality look of the QA1 isn't all that great. I was nervous with how thin the K-Member is and spotty welds. The beauty part about having an aftermarket K-Member other than the weight savings is the room. You can change shorty headers to long tubes in 45 minutes (I've done it with the car on the ground).

The TeamZ piece is serious stuff. It's not thin, the welds are solid and every unit is powder coated. The UPR stuff is nice too. However I'd suggest visiting www.yellowbullet.com suspension forum first for some reading before making a purchase.

Found some pictures of the QA1 which I bought at Steeda for $219.
KMember.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

Attachments

• KMember.jpg
    KMember.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 614
  • IMAG0429.jpg
    IMAG0429.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 490
  • IMAG0427.jpg
    IMAG0427.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 498
  • IMAG0428.jpg
    IMAG0428.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 798
FWIW... Someone told me that putting on a tubular crossmember,it moved the front wheels forward or backwards,I dont remember which one it was, just what i heard. . .