Best electric fan for a n/a 302?

• Sponsors (?)

You can do a Taurus fan swap (see fordmuscle.com for a writeup) for pretty cheap.. or go with a Black Magic type fan from Jegs for around $150.. I'd recommend the Taurus.. it's almost a direct fit, and should keep you cool regardless of what upgrades you make down the road.

I just put a $10 Wal Mart box fan in front of my engine and I just use really long extension cord when I go down the road. When I get to my destination I unplug it and reel in the extension cord for a few days. It usually adds 40-60hp depending on the dyno...

Anthony

The Fox said:
I just put a $10 Wal Mart box fan in front of my engine and I just use really long extension cord when I go down the road. When I get to my destination I unplug it and reel in the extension cord for a few days. It usually adds 40-60hp depending on the dyno...

Anthony

:lol: Maby 10hp or so from the fan, but what he didn't mention is that he's got the Toro electric leaf blower plugged to the other side of the extention cord and hooked to his intake giving him between 1-3psi of boost.

The ford fans are great and hands down better than that black magic or proform stuff. My friends proform was a piece of dog sh it. Find a used Ford fan and wire it up with a bosch 75a relay and a switch and you're fine. My fan was $43 shipped :) I give it a nice work out on an 11:1 compression engine.

The Lincoln MkVII fan is a nice peice, you have to do some wiring through a relay though but there is a lot of swap tutorials online. This fan is an amp hog but it really moves some air. I did a 3G alternator upgrade at the same time so I'm not sure how a 2G alternator handles it.

The fans that you'll rarely hear anyone post a problem about are the 1) Lincoln MkVIII fan, 2) the Taurus 3.8L V6 fan (Volvo 940's use a very similar fan), 3) the fans from 94/5 Stang's, and the 4) SPAL dual 11" set up.

The ONLY way to control any electric fan is with one of these --- and they sell fans to go with them. www.dccontrol.com

Don't forget -- if you have the stock 65A alternator, it's probably not gonna hold up trying to drive the fan.

Really any fan will work

Just measure the room you have to work with, and get the most CFM fan you can get, and put it on a relay, or a manual switch..........and your off to the races

Duro

"Really any fan will work"

If only it were 'really' that easy. Unfortunately there are MANY fans out there hocked on the unsuspecting -- most fall into the $69 specials sold by the local speed shops. Most simply won't move enough air to effectively cool a 5.0 with air that has to deal with arm summers and traffic. And according to many posters - the Black Magic fans and their clones aren't much better.

Here's a pretty good rule -- if the fan doesn't cause any problems with the stock 65A alternator, then there's a good chance it's not capable of moving enough air under all circumstances to keep you cool.

And relays/manual switches are the worst way to control one. Well, actually wiring it up to run all the time is the worst way. Relays/switches are second worst.