Best electric fan for a n/a 302?

Michael Yount said:
And relays/manual switches are the worst way to control one. Well, actually wiring it up to run all the time is the worst way. Relays/switches are second worst.

I disagree with you Mike. I guess it depends what kind of relay you use. I use a bosch 75a relay with a switch and wouldn't do it any other way. Been flawless for over 3 years. I agree that your typical 30/40a relays don't cut it.

I prefer doing it the simple way rather than using a bunch of gadgets. Switch/relay are ideal for me.

• Sponsors (?)

Duro5341 said:
Really any fan will work

Just measure the room you have to work with, and get the most CFM fan you can get, and put it on a relay, or a manual switch..........and your off to the races

Duro
I get your sentiment, but this could be taken as misleading.

Many many fans will dimensionally fit, but wont flow near enough CFM's to cool a stang decently (let alone, how many folks on here have stock stangs? Not many - ergo they need even more fan). I would not want a four banger fan of any flavor on a 5.0L.

Also, I like your relay idea - I would not want the juice for a Mark 8 fan going through a switch alone. Andy has had the best idea on this whole thread (and we know Michael seconds that thought). :nice:

Grn92 - the 'simple' way is quite hard on the battery, electrical charging system and the fan motor itself. Current spikes during start up are 2 to 3 times continuous current draws. Besides that, most of the time the motor simply doesn't need to run at full blast to cool the vehicle. A variable speed controller is a much more efficient and elegant way to control an electric fan -- no way around it. I'm glad yours works for you -- but it's a dinosaur.