BEST EXHAUST FOR STOCK H-PIPE??

01GTPony

Jun 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
I live in cali so i'm thinking i'll save myself the trouble of fines, fix its, failed smogs, cop hassling...etc and stick with the stock H-pipe. :bang: I do however want a cat-back that will turn heads. I was thinking about getting the magnaflow catback w/ magnapacks. What do u guys think I should do? Also some advice on the whole midpipe situation...I think theres a law now that the catts must be factory to pass smog. :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Get something on the loud side otherwise you won't hardly notice it with the stock midepipe on.

I would go with magnapack or bassani I think. have not heard the borla stinger on a car with cats. It may be acceptable. the normal borla would be on the quite side. flow 40's or spintechs if you stay alumized but that is not what I would do.

exhaust

Hey,
I live in NJ and we have issues with taking off perfectly good catted h-pipes. Plus even with a good catted x or h-pipe with two cats we will have issues with visual.
I have the stock h-pipes and have a Magnaflow not the pacs on my 2002 GT and they are loud. You can get loud exhaust with the stock h-pipes. I like the very deep tone, with no drone and really loud and aggressive sound when you are on it. If you want louder go with the pacs, but I don't like the sound of the pacs myself. that is why I went with the magnaflows. Believe me, I turn heads with the sound, when cruising or partial throttle. People up the street will turn around when they hear the car.
So you can get a good, loud, aggressive sounding exhaust with the stock h-pipe.
Go with magnaflows or the pacs, you won't regret it.

ya with a catted x or h you probably would pass tailpipe, however you wont pass the visual inspection. any emissions component that you put on a car in CA must have a CARB EO number. another thing you have to remember is that there are new laws in CA about the maximum decibel level of the exhaust. the law is 95 decibels however there is a 1.5db range on either side. the place im gonna start working for in a few days does these tests. they can only be done at a referee's station.

01GTPony said:
I live in cali so i'm thinking i'll save myself the trouble of fines, fix its, failed smogs, cop hassling...etc and stick with the stock H-pipe. :bang: I do however want a cat-back that will turn heads. I was thinking about getting the magnaflow catback w/ magnapacks. What do u guys think I should do? Also some advice on the whole midpipe situation...I think theres a law now that the catts must be factory to pass smog. :notnice:
catted magnaflow X here.. not worried about emissions at all.. if you are scared keep your stock H and bolt it back on right before the test.. no biggie.. It will pass the sniffer fine with the catted Magnaflow X.. you just won't pass the visual at half the smog places since their book says 4 cats and the magnaflow has 2.

The only way to get noticable power out of the exhaust side is to change out the stock H.

-wade

bdcardinal said:
its a h pipe that has 2 catalytic converters on it. they arent legal in CA because they only have 2 cats on them. CA law for 96+ cars is that you must use OEM cats. so since stangs usually have 4 cats, you need to have 4 cats.
easy to find a shop that will pass the car as long as it passes the sniffer.. there are plenty of gas stations with workers with aftermarket pipes/illegal o/r pipes in CA.

wms004 said:
easy to find a shop that will pass the car as long as it passes the sniffer.. there are plenty of gas stations with workers with aftermarket pipes/illegal o/r pipes in CA.
Not so easy anymore since they passed the new emissions law in California. You now have to put your car on a dyno machine and most of those little gas stations stopped doing smog's because they couldn't afford the new machine to do the dyno test on your car. So a lot of those shops that were doing smog's aren't doing them anymore, which means there are less places to choose from when the time comes to do your smog...I'm running 40 series flows with my stock h-pipe, no problems with smog testing, and the car sounds great. I love that old school muscle car sound. Unless your going to do a lot of other mods to your car, most exhaust systems aren't going to net you a whole lot more power. If your going to keep your stock h-pipe then go with the sound you like....

01GTPony said:
Do you think the magnapack system would pass the decibel test?

I have Magnapacks and they are only really loud at WOT. They are actually fairly quiet at idle. I have been next to police cars at stop lights and I take off and never have a problem with sound level. Of course I just barely step on it when I'm next to a cop. But if you take off from a stop and put the pedal to the metal......IT IS LOUD, BABY!