Best Exhaust/Mufflers for 1988 GT 5.0L

What is your Favorite Brand of Exhaust/Muffler?

• Bassani

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Borla

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • DynoMax

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Flowmaster

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Hooker

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Hey Guys,
I am shopping for new mufflers for my 1988 GT Mustang. I am looking for somewhat low tone at idle, while having a roaring sound when hammered. Don't mind interior noise that much, but lower interior noise would be a bonus. What do you guys recommend? My Mustang is close to stock. I have an H-Pipe and have removed the cat. converters.

• Sponsors (?)

My dad has a 95 GT Vert and he has an o/r H-Pipe and Flowmaster 40 series (American Thunder) and it sounds pretty cool. The drone will get on your nerves though on the highway. It is the only exhaust I can really say I have heard, because I know whats on it. I've heard other cars, but I had no idea what they were.

1988_Mustang_GT said:
I don't think I have any pollution controls on my car either. I know I welded the Oxygen sensors shut. Does this increase power by much?

Do you mean you have the O2 sensors on your car, but you just welded around them on? Or did you weld the 02 sensors housing closed? If you welded the housing shut, then damn.

Ouch...your o2 senors are very important. That will make the car run bad, since it will be giving the engine so much gas, or it will hardly run. i'm not really sure what it will do, just know it's bad to not run any sensors.

Regarding my o2 sensors, when I bought the car they were already removed and the space welded shut. I know this has an impact on fuel consumption. I'm pretty sure it is not helping in the smoot running of an engine. My question regarding power increases was pertaining to pollution controls. How much power do you gain by removin' them?

1988_Mustang_GT said:
Regarding my o2 sensors, when I bought the car they were already removed and the space welded shut. I know this has an impact on fuel consumption. I'm pretty sure it is not helping in the smoot running of an engine. My question regarding power increases was pertaining to pollution controls. How much power do you gain by removin' them?
You wont really gain power by removing the pollution controlls, it does make the engine bay much neater, and easier to work on. However removing the cats may free up 5-10 hp depending on their condition, will also make the car louder. :D

I have Mac LT's custom o/r H pipe, and Mac Pro Dump mufflers, in my opinion the best stang I have ever heard. Its not the DEEP flowmaster sound, it more of a hollow all out satin sound. I watched a video of my car at the track and couldn't believe how good it sounded. Can ya tell I like the Mac mufflers?:nice:

regaurding the lack of o2 sensors it does help to have them but most computers have a default setting in there system to keep the system in a safe air/fuel ratio setting.i have tracked many drivability problems on o2 sensors by merely unhooking the sensor and driving the car.yes it helps to have them but it's not the end of the world.

I've got a set of Mac headers, custom X-Pipe (Bassani center) and Mac 2 1/2 inch Flow Path, Cat Back on mine. If you don't mind a little interior noise, its a very reasonably priced set up and with the exception of the headers, good quality to boot. but don't buy either the 2 chamber Flows, or Mac Flowpaths without some sort of X-pipe or Catted H-pipe. The interior noise will drive you crazy in time!!!

I've got a flowmaster system on mine and love the sound. It's fairly mild at idle, though definetely still noticable. With the windows up its too loud until you get over 2,000 rpm. Its got a really deep smooth rumble, mine actually doesn't drone at all on the highway though that may be because I don't have converters.

Ok guys,
A little update on my o2 sensors. I bought this car from my brother. Originally it didn't have the o2 sensors, but about a month before he sold it to me he changed the exhaust and it now has o2 sensors. He told me the car didn't run quite as well without the o2 sensors. Apparently he has bypassed the air pump pulley. I am guessing this will make approx 1 to 3 HP difference due to the fact that there is less strain on the engine. I am also guessing that even if the pulley bypass made as much as a 5 HP diff, I would probably have a hard time noticing a difference anyway since it is such a small increase. Thanks for everyone's input on the exhaust/muffler setups and o2 sensors.

Regarding the best exhaust/muffler setup for my car: I should add that I do a lot of highway driving at high speeds (over 100mph). Are there any brands that can't cope with this abuse and are not useful for highway purposes? What brand offers the best life?

Yeah, I don't really like highway driving. I have flows and 3.73s (excessive shifter vibration)... so i kinda hate driving on tha highway... sucks because I live in a small town and you have to take a highway to get anywhere...haha