Best first mods?

slayerripkdc

15 Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
brewster ny
I already installed subframe connectors, and a K and N drop in. Which Is a better first modification, an off road x pipe with a catback, or 4.10's gears? I will eventually do both when funds are available. Also will 4.10's with an otherwise stock 2003 GT 5spd with 40k on the clock capable of high 13's with street tires?

• Sponsors (?)

You can easily install the X-pipe and catback yourself and you're looking at about $600 for both.

The gears themselves will run you about $220 (really needs a new bearing kit along with it) and you're looking at about $400 or so for installation.

You'll feel the gears a LOT more than the exhaust mods. It comes down to whether you want seat-of-the-pants performance increase or a badass sounding car with only a slight performance increase.

Personally, Id go with the gears. Get them out of the way early.

-OR-

Get an X-pipe, gears, and just weld mufflers into your stock catback. Then save money for the gear install.

A catback is a waste of money, unless you like to pay for sound. No HP to be gained. Just weld in your mufflers of choice. The stock mufflers dumped with an offroad mid pipe sound the best to me.

4.10's are going to give you a hard time at the track on street tires, unless you have experience slipping a clutch. Gears make a car fun to drive, but don't make it faster unless the proper tire/driver techniques are applied. Many times, they make the car slower at the track by inexperienced drivers with street tires spinning half way down the track.

If you want to learn how to drive your car at the track, I would not touch it. Spend the money at the track, then fix anything you break. After you get the hang of it, then mod it. In a stock 5 speed PI car, you should be running 14.0-14.2 @98-100mph if you DA is -1000 to 500ft. If the DA is higher, then the car might run in the 14.3 and up. 60ft' with track prep should be mid to high 1.9's.

Gears hands down. As winters98GT said without a good tire on the car you could go slower, but the butt-o-meter will love them. Another cheap mod to look at is a shifter. If I had a stone stock GT here is what I would do and the order.

Shifter
Gear
FULL exhaust LTs and if you wanted better looking tips catback
Suspension you desired
Cams

This would come after all upkeep was caught up on the car. That would make for a fun little car. One thing I would do is find some friends with mustangs that have a few mods, and see what appeals to you the most. Do that before spending money, and finding out you don't like something you did.

A catback is a waste of money, unless you like to pay for sound. No HP to be gained. Just weld in your mufflers of choice. The stock mufflers dumped with an offroad mid pipe sound the best to me.

Agreed. I wish I had simply started by swapping the o/r h-pipe (easy and cheap) and calling it a day. I would have saved the $230 I paid to buy Flowmasters and have them welded on. Yeah I wouldn't have had Flows all these years, but oh well...

:flag:

i agree on the shifter as well, i vote mgw. its one of the best ive used so far. after the exhaust and gears i would do some springs and shocks n struts. would make for a nice street car.