Best gear for the 1/4 mile?

hotmustang331 said:
I think my times/trap speak for themselves. 4.10s wouldnt help me in the 1/4...just worsen my traction and I would run slower. Just stick with the 3.73s...the 3.73s are just coming in on the bigend when the 1000' is up. FOR your CURRENT setup, in the 1000'. 4.30s would be the best, but IMHO results would be negligable. I think its mainly all about learning how to drive your car with the setup you have. There are stock gear GTs deep in the 12s, just doesnt matter as much as most think.

More info please :D

Helty, you bastid! Postin my worst time of the day!.. Launching way too high and getting throttle-happy, then just sayin "**** it".. :nonono: :( Oh well, it was my fault lol

• Sponsors (?)

revlimiter in 4th with 4.10's would hit about 112. I know you car is not trapping 112. so you will be fine. it does not matter how hard you spin out of the hole trap speed is trap speed. my advice is if you are spinning that bad ride the clutch a bit or grandma is out a bit. wheel spin is not great for you 60'

the only way 3.73's are suppior to 4.10's is if you run out of rpms. if you have wheel spin you either adjust your driving style or suspention.

if you are getting more out of n/a gt with 3.73's than with 4.10's you are just not making the needed adustments bottom line.

im cutting decent 60' times, considering the rubber im using. 2.08 and 2.05 on Sunday were my best two. Im not the best by any means, but im getting better with experience.

Im not the one who's worried about running out of gear. I think the intention of the thread was to see if 3.73s (being right in the power band) would pull on 4.10s in the final 320', given both cars are evenly modded which in this case, they're very close.

heres a vid of my 2.08 60', 11.3504 1000' pass. I wish I would have had her record the rpms, but she said it wasnt very clear when she tried to earlier.

http://media.putfile.com/113504

hotmustang331 said:
I think my times/trap speak for themselves. 4.10s wouldnt help me in the 1/4...just worsen my traction and I would run slower. Just stick with the 3.73s...the 3.73s are just coming in on the bigend when the 1000' is up. FOR your CURRENT setup, in the 1000'. 4.30s would be the best, but IMHO results would be negligable. I think its mainly all about learning how to drive your car with the setup you have. There are stock gear GTs deep in the 12s, just doesnt matter as much as most think.
you have a nice setup, but gear would do nothing but help your setup. 3.73s aren't the best gear for the 1/4 for your car. there are plenty of faster bolt on cars that have been on this board with more gear, 4.10 and 4.30. i have 3.73s in my cobra and i definitely ned more gear barely hitting 5200rpms on the factory tach trapping almost 106.