Best Ignition Box?

• Sponsors (?)

Crane Hi-6 is the Fireball. Not only does it double the output of the MSD, but it is way cheaper if you get it from Crane than the 6AL is from anyone. Also, the HI-6 is digital, the MSD is analog. All around better bang for the buck.

Oh, it also has an adjustable rev limiter in 100rpm dialable increments, not 1000rpm removable pills like the MSD. it has a built in timing retard, and a Crane BTM can be added to it plug and play for tuning on boost applications.

I've had bad luck with the hi-6...two of them went to ****. One was a gold box, one the newer black. I'm a big fan of the Mallory HyFire digital VI AL. Has just about everything you need for any setup.

Go to the Crane website and look at their open box comparison. If that doesn't settle it for you, nothing will. I've heard way more people in here have trouble with dead out of the box MSD's than have even heard of the HI-6, and I've almost never seen a Mallory in a racing Mustang. That doesn't mean they aren't any good, I don't know anything about them. It does mean they aren't very popular, and there's usually a good reason for that. Never had any trouble with mine, this thread is the first time I've ever heard of one that I can remember. Run a search in here on MSD problems, and see the list that comes up.

Dont know which is better or not. I would always use the tried and trued MSD 6AL. I have always used these boxes with no problems what-so-ever. Nor have I heard any of my buddies complain about them. If you look at the track all you will find are MSD boxes left and right so they are pretty popular in that respect. I do kind of like how the Crane is Digital and how it is cheaper and hopefully its durable like the analog unit of the MSD?

P.S- The open-box comparison is cool but what do you expect... its a Crane ad....

I just got the MSD Dig-6 plus. I am putting in an MSD Billet Dist. and MSD coil so it only made sense to go with MSD box if I have the dist and coil. I like the idea of Dig. and it being cheaper, my only question is how can it be cheaper than all the other Dig. boxes (Jacobs, MSD, ect.), and it is cheaper by alot. This throws a flag up to me. Maybe they are good pieces, maybe not. To me if you like to gamble, go for it. I know that MSD works and used extensively by alot of people. If it works and works twice that of MSD 6AL box, then damn that is a great deal.
I believe in the popular old saying, "You get what you pay for". Just my 02 cents.
Good luck with what ever you do. :nice:

i'm gonna throw a curve in here for you and say.... Jacobs!!! it is a very good ignition system, it is very customizable (in-car timing adjustments/nitrous controllers/rev limiters etc.) and i've never had any failures with mine which was purchased used.

i've heard a lot about the msd units just dying on here a lot, and i know a couple people that have had it happen to them. i'm sure overall it is a good product and they have good customer service but i hate getting things fixed.

good luck, i'm sure you'll be happy as long as you stick with a reputable name.

-steve

I'm going with Crane, either the HI-6S and a PS-91 coil ($159.95) or the HI-6 with an LX-92 coil ($254.90). Both have built-in rev limiters, and both need the connecting wire adapter ($19.98) to plug and play. But can anyone tell me the difference between the HI-6S and the HI-6 before I call Crane and find out???

Ive used MSD 6 versions on 5 different cars over the years, and only had one fail, and that was my fault, but MSD fixed it for $20.00. My current Mustang uses the MSD Digital 6, which is well worth the money, doesnt use plug in modules anymore, little dials, and comes with an adjustable timing retard for nitrous or high gear retard.

I went and ordered the HI-6S and harness all from Sumitt, cost $158.00 total. I've already got an MSD Blaster coil (pretty new) so I'm gonna use it. The guy at Sumitt said that the HI-6 is digital and for cars running at least 10:1, the HI-6S is analog and good for anything below 10:1...I'm at 9.5 and in a year or two I'd like to do a blower install on it, so I went the cheaper route for now and will step up to digital then. With the money I save I can hit the sticker-bin at the local rice shop!!