Best Mufflers for Stock 5.0?

FiveOhhStang

Jan 27, 2003
Sanger, Cali.
I wil be having the stock h-pipe, and headers for awhile, and want the Best sounding/littlest drone muffler out there...I live in Cali, so Emissions may be a problem on some of them...
I heard Dyno Max makes a few nice ones, and so does Bassani? Help me out guys! Also I will be getting Shorty Headers, and X-pipe, later on down the line, but not within 6 months...Help me out!
-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Your gonna have to get a catted X pipe when you buy one. Emissions.

I like 40 series Flowmasters but they are really loud with a off-road H-pipe. Might not be to loud on a catted stang.

88stangmangt said:
the mufflers dont have anything to do with emissions. it depends on your taste if you like straight thru or chamber mufflers.

May not directly affect the emissions, but there might be a problem at inspection time if they have a noise level limit......

sleeper89 said:
who's they? i could be wrong (it's happened...once or twice ;)) but i've never heard of failing emmissions due to excessive noise :shrug:

-steve

They would be the State. As I said, it wouldn't affect emssions, but they could fail you for having "faulty equipment", or for "excessive noise", or some other crap. Here in Massachusetts, if you read the laws, it's technically "illegal to have an exhaust system that is louder than stock". The question is, how do they know how loud stock really is? This leaves it as a judgment call...... which is :bs:

cevtv said:
They would be the State. As I said, it wouldn't affect emssions, but they could fail you for having "faulty equipment", or for "excessive noise", or some other crap. Here in Massachusetts, if you read the laws, it's technically "illegal to have an exhaust system that is louder than stock". The question is, how do they know how loud stock really is? This leaves it as a judgment call...... which is :bs:
VA has a noise limit. Well at least the State Cops around here think they do. They are strict on that type of stuff. Dang cops.:fuss:

Dave

yeah, here in california they have restrictions on noise level.... friend of mine with his old prelude almost didn't pass. It's not emissions related, but its th visual/sound check

as far as visual, i went in with my oil breather line on my rubber intake hose off, and they made me put it on.... they said it was tampered :shrug:

(it was off because i forgot to put it on after i took the hose off to replace sparkplugs)