best oil?

• Sponsors (?)

Where were you a month ago,we had a great thread on this topic!! Regular dino oil is fine,my stang likes to rev a little with my high speed torque conv.and I never had a car with synthetic.As long as you change your oil enery 3 grand,regular oil is fine for a stock application.Michael Yount is the man to talk to on the subject!

i just switched to synthetic, and i can tell you, it makes a huge difference. i used to think it was all hype, but it seemed to free up a good deal of torque, considering all i did was an oil/filter change. i now think of it now as a cheap HP mod as opposed to thinking of it as expensive oil.

only problem can be that it'll dislodge a lot of crap, and possibly start some oil leaks if your gaskets are very old...

keep in mind there are only a few "true" synthetics, namely, Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil. there are others, but those are some of the most common. stuff like Syntech, from what i have read, are not true synthetics, but more what i think of as a true "blend."

just something to keep in mind. does it really matter? who knows. just info.

ram360 said:
I'm w/ willy on this one (just change it every 3k and it really doesn't matter), but I still use castrol syntech in all mine.

if your going to use a synthetic oil prolly best to get away from castrol being you pay synthetic price for what many do not call a true synthetic

something about a true synthetic uses actual manmade base stocks while castrol still uses dino juice just refines it

but mobil 1 seems to be good stuff

Whatevers on sale. Save what you're spending on synthetics on something that you're actually going to notice over time. Any horsepower you gain from useing synthetic oil is going to be in your head to try to justify what you just spent on that oil change.

for weight, 20W-50 for 9 months, and 10-40 in the "winter." stang is not driven in temps under 70* and regularily sees ambient temps of 110*.

Okay, I might as well join in.

First of all, my beaters and everyday rides use 10w30 quakersludge (cause its cheap or free at work)

They say "people who know use Valvoline" I dunno.

I was always a castrol guy, but my mom had a car for 150,000 miles that I did all of the regular sevice on. Every 3,000. When at 135,000, I pulled the valve cover to replace the gasket, It was seme-clean, but had more sludge than I would have liked to have seen. No more castrol for me.
I have heard if there is a place for a leak, synthetic will find it.

My step dad had an 86 F-150 w/351w, since new. It ran 230,000 hard miles, pulling a 25ft enclosed trailer and still runs, we just sold it. I never had a valve cover off or anything! Here's the kicker, dear old dad did his own service. When I asked him about his service habits, around 200,000 miles he said "I use 15w40 Shell rotella-T, year round, and change the filter every other oil change" The cheap ass, only did the filter every other time for 230,000 miles!!!!!!