Best Options For Cat Delete?? Opinions Please.

FoxatHeart

Show Me Your Headlights
Nov 29, 1999
Saginaw, Mi
I'm thoroughly in a love/hate relationship with my fox! Lol
(87 GT 5.0 stock)

One cat is rattling bad and I have an exhaust leak.
I intended on nixing the cats, but that wasn't quite in the plans yet.

In order to avoid the excess exhaust fumes and the awful rattle, that project has now been bumped up to "Next" on my "to do list"!

Looking for opinions.. H-pipe, X-pipe, straight pipes.. anything else that works well for anyone.
I want that throaty pony rumble.. I had 2 inch exhaust in mind.. Too much, not enough, or just right? What is going to give me the best sound without cats?

• Sponsors (?)

If you drive the car on the street, you're going to regret not having cats on it. It's going to stink. I'd replace them with some that aren't ratttle-licious like the BBK's. I put a pair of tiny and tough little Magnaflow Spun Metallics on mine and I kick myself every time I drive it for going without cats for as many years as I did.

For what it's worth, I've owned several mustangs and every one had the smog and cats removed and not one of them produced a major stink. I say it's your car, do what you want. You can bypass the smog pump and try it with an off road H pipe with O2 sensors and see how you like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine stunk horrible with the catless h pipe. Took me a while to find a stock catted pipe to put back on. This car had new o2 sensors and the engine has no codes. The smell was terrible. Couldnt run it in the driveway and stand there for 20 seconds without having to shower and change. Cats are there for a reason. Research them before just removing them. Also is the ratyle just one of the heat shields over the cat? Take it to a muffler shop and have them take a look.

Bassani x pipe. Many of them (make sure you check), come in a manner where you can add or remove the cats because it's made of a bunch of parts.
Mac makes garbage, i wouldn't use that crap again if it was given to me for free.

I've pretty much never had cats, i'm not opposed to them, but financially it's much cheaper without them and the car sounds better.
Never had any smell issues either.

If you do go with a x or h pipe without cats keep your cats you might need them to pass state inspection. I just put on a bbk x-pipe with cats at the beginning of the summer. It sounds great when you get on it. Its expensive but I got tired of putting my stock 4 cat h-pipe on for a week every year for inspection. Here's a pic of bbk x, h-pipe, and stock 4 cat. your rattle could be he heat shields on the cats, I cut mine off when they started ratting

Attachments

• x-pipe 5-2013.JPG
    x-pipe 5-2013.JPG
    989.1 KB · Views: 116