Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martha Stewart

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
Where do we stand now. I used to think a Chebby in a fox was like a bikini on a fat chick... Now I'm not as "brand" loyal as I used to be and flirting with the idea of LS2 in the 86. :rlaugh:

To be fair, my next engine won't be a windsor. I'm at the LS2 vs 32v Mod motor... But still dreaming at this point. My supercharged 302 will have to do until it splits in two.

[edit: dammit forgot the big block crowd, sorry. How can I edit a poll?]

• Sponsors (?)

Those are all fine options if you're a pansy. I'm swapping a tank engine in mine.

aa-tankengine-jpg_100175062_m.jpg

Attachments

• aa-tankengine-jpg_100175062_m.jpg
    aa-tankengine-jpg_100175062_m.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 105
LSx or 351 stroker, The last few days ive been researching 700hp 427ish inch pump gas small blocks though, and it really makes me want to build a CFE headed SBC.

I've always said that the Windsor and the Fox go together like fries and ketchup. It's just how the Fox was meant to be.

That said, my preference would go like this:
1. Anything 9.5 deck Windsor (including possibly a modern Clevor)
2. Aftermarket block 363+ ci 8.2 deck
3. Mod 5.4L
4. Coyote

If money was a non-issue, I'd seriously contemplate a BBF or finding a way to get the new Boss 6.2L to work.

An LS engine would be low on my list, but I would do that before a 4.6. The 4.6 just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I've always said that the Windsor and the Fox go together like fries and ketchup. It's just how the Fox was meant to be.

That said, my preference would go like this:
1. Anything 9.5 deck Windsor (including possibly a modern Clevor)
2. Aftermarket block 363+ ci 8.2 deck
3. Mod 5.4L
4. Coyote

If money was a non-issue, I'd seriously contemplate a BBF or finding a way to get the new Boss 6.2L to work.

An LS engine would be low on my list, but I would do that before a 4.6. The 4.6 just doesn't appeal to me at all.
You'd honestly do a 5.4 over a lsx, ford underwear aside?

You'd honestly do a 5.4 over a lsx, ford underwear aside?

Yep, I'm attracted to the OHC thing, but the 4.6 is too small to justify it. I'd like to do a 5.4 with all the bells and whistles, but it would probably get pretty salty.

I pretty much see the LS as in the same ballpark as the Windsor up until about 700 HP, when the Windsor block strength comes into question. Below that, stock block Windsor strokers are cheap enough and easy enough to install in a Fox that it's pretty much a wash when compared to a LS swap. If you can manage to find an LS in good shape for cheap, and all you're planning on doing is sticking a cam in it and then throwing it in a Fox with junkyard parts, sure... But if we're talking a legit 400-600 RWHP, it's a moot point.

I dunno though, if tomorrow you offered me $4000 and an LS2 to trade for my 302, I'd probably go for it. I respect the LS as a badass engine. I would just lean toward going with the Blue Oval, assuming no miracle deals fall in my lap any time soon.

Yep, I'm attracted to the OHC thing, but the 4.6 is too small to justify it. I'd like to do a 5.4 with all the bells and whistles, but it would probably get pretty salty.

I pretty much see the LS as in the same ballpark as the Windsor up until about 700 HP, when the Windsor block strength comes into question. Below that, stock block Windsor strokers are cheap enough and easy enough to install in a Fox that it's pretty much a wash when compared to a LS swap. If you can manage to find an LS in good shape for cheap, and all you're planning on doing is sticking a cam in it and then throwing it in a Fox with junkyard parts, sure... But if we're talking a legit 400-600 RWHP, it's a moot point.

I dunno though, if tomorrow you offered me $4000 and an LS2 to trade for my 302, I'd probably go for it. I respect the LS as a badass engine. I would just lean toward going with the Blue Oval, assuming no miracle deals fall in my lap any time soon.
There is so many portions of the ls swap that people dont think about, for the average 1320 skinny, it doesnt matter, for a turn burner or street car it does.

The weight of an LS is outstanding, even a ls7 weighs about what a stock 5.0l weighs, thats pretty badass. Go ahead and stuff a cam in it, but dont buy new heads, the heads can be hogged out something fierce, take it to any local engine shop and im sure there is some dude who has been building engines for years who can do a hand port job 10x what a machine can, for about a 1/3 of the cost.

I'll be the first to say good luck finding a running ls1/2/3 for under 2k, i found a ls7 with computer and harness for 4k, Di wish i had the cash to buy it? **** yeah, but it doesnt mean you cant find it, maybe its just me and im able to get great deals but i doubt it.

There are things the windsor just cant compete with, weight, location in the engine bay, reactivity to parts. Those are things i'd rather have, and if i had to pay a bit of a premium then so be it(but be damn sure im going to wait until i get a deal)

Plus i get the extra hatred factor, people see it and hate me for what I did, and that makes me extra fuzzy inside when i blow past them.

take it to any local engine shop and im sure there is some dude who has been building engines for years who can do a hand port job 10x what a machine can, for about a 1/3 of the cost.

You could send a set of heads to TEA or WCCH and be out of there for around 1300 bucks, they will do the bowls, chambers, and runners. A local, small guy would have to do it for under 500 bucks according to your math and if he did, he would be loosing money, and run himself straight into the ground.

You could send a set of heads to TEA or WCCH and be out of there for around 1300 bucks, they will do the bowls, chambers, and runners. A local, small guy would have to do it for under 500 bucks according to your math and if he did, he would be loosing money, and run himself straight into the ground.

Did you see the port work in both my threads? That cost me $300 per set, (compared to $400 for his regular price), they've been their for 44 years and the building is paid for. Im sure this is on the lowest range. This port included everything, pocket, bowl work, smoothing, decking everything. And it doesnt matter what head or how much he opens it up.

Less incorporated areas might not get anywhere near that, but big cities have a better shot.

Btw it took about 2 days for both sets to be finished, if you want to see pics bump my threads and i'll find more.

The weight of an LS is outstanding, even a ls7 weighs about what a stock 5.0l weighs, thats pretty badass.

The weight is definitely nice, but then we're talking aluminum block LS engines, which are much weaker than their iron counterparts. From what I've read, the aluminum block LS stuff is back in Windsor strength territory.

Except for the LS7, I have no idea what that block can do.

Go ahead and stuff a cam in it, but dont buy new heads, the heads can be hogged out something fierce, take it to any local engine shop and im sure there is some dude who has been building engines for years who can do a hand port job 10x what a machine can, for about a 1/3 of the cost.

HAHAHA, keep telling yourself that, dude. Any hand port job that can even come close to competing with some of the modern CNC stuff is going to cost you HUGE coin. Places like TEA and Fox Lake spend years developing those CNC profiles, and the whole idea behind the CNC is that you can do it faster and cheaper. Even the big money guys will usually have a head CNC ported, THEN add some finishing touches by hand.

I agree though, LS heads + reputable CNC porting = awesomeness.

I'll be the first to say good luck finding a running ls1/2/3 for under 2k, i found a ls7 with computer and harness for 4k, Di wish i had the cash to buy it? **** yeah, but it doesnt mean you cant find it, maybe its just me and im able to get great deals but i doubt it.

So, what was wrong with it? :D That is a ridiculously good deal. Most guys are going to want 2 or 3 times as much for a LS7.

There are things the windsor just cant compete with, weight, location in the engine bay, reactivity to parts.

The LS doesn't just magically respond well to any modifications, it's just that it has a little more modern aftermarket following to it, with more modern parts and thinking. NA Windsors can still be built to do everything a built LS can do, but the Windsor is definitely going to take a little more thought, because the SBF market is still flooded with outdated parts and hot-rodding methods. If you put a common 250CFM head, 75mm TB and .500" lift flat tappet cam on a Windsor, of course an LS with 320CFM heads, a 90mm TB, and a .600" lift roller cam is going to run circles around it. Put those kind of parts on a Windsor though, and the playing field becomes a little more level.

Plus i get the extra hatred factor, people see it and hate me for what I did, and that makes me extra fuzzy inside when i blow past them.

Haha, you're sadistic, dude.

The weight is definitely nice, but then we're talking aluminum block LS engines, which are much weaker than their iron counterparts. From what I've read, the aluminum block LS stuff is back in Windsor strength territory.

Except for the LS7, I have no idea what that block can do.

great, so an aluminum block with iron stength, spells win to me. We'll keep the comparisons to n/a from here out for simplicity, work for you?

HAHAHA, keep telling yourself that, dude. Any hand port job that can even come close to competing with some of the modern CNC stuff is going to cost you HUGE coin. Places like TEA and Fox Lake spend years developing those CNC profiles, and the whole idea behind the CNC is that you can do it faster and cheaper. Even the big money guys will usually have a head CNC ported, THEN add some finishing touches by hand.

I agree though, LS heads + reputable CNC porting = awesomeness.

its true, they have to pay for the cnc machine some how, it was designed to do it faster, not surely better, washing machines wash clothes faster and easier but a hand wash is always better. I know, im special and accomplish stuff for prices unattainable :rolleyes: but i doubt hes the only builder who does the same

So, what was wrong with it? :D That is a ridiculously good deal. Most guys are going to want 2 or 3 times as much for a LS7.

FOF sort of a thing, came out of a running car, just couldnt sell my 347 in time. I missed out big time, but i have no issue going ls3 if i can get a deal

The LS doesn't just magically respond well to any modifications, it's just that it has a little more modern aftermarket following to it, with more modern parts and thinking. NA Windsors can still be built to do everything a built LS can do, but the Windsor is definitely going to take a little more thought, because the SBF market is still flooded with outdated parts and hot-rodding methods. If you put a common 250CFM head, 75mm TB and .500" lift flat tappet cam on a Windsor, of course an LS with 320CFM heads, a 90mm TB, and a .600" lift roller cam is going to run circles around it. Put those kind of parts on a Windsor though, and the playing field becomes a little more level.
im not talking about aftermarket reactivity, the motor isnt magic, it was touched by god, get it right :) I'm talking about using factory components and modding them to do great things without buying expensive aftermarket parts. Add the fact that all ls engines are really interchangeable with each other, port the heads, different factory intake, old take out cam and they do great things for nickles comparitvely

Haha, you're sadistic, dude.
very very sadistic

Did you see the port work in both my threads? That cost me $300 per set, (compared to $400 for his regular price), they've been their for 44 years and the building is paid for. Im sure this is on the lowest range. This port included everything, pocket, bowl work, smoothing, decking everything. And it doesnt matter what head or how much he opens it up.

Less incorporated areas might not get anywhere near that, but big cities have a better shot.

Btw it took about 2 days for both sets to be finished, if you want to see pics bump my threads and i'll find more.

No i didnt, what do they flow? If you paid that much, you got a deal, 99.5% of people could not do it for that cheap.

Another great advantage is that the CNC stuff is repeatable for all 8 cylinders. Alot of shops have stopped hand porting heads because its not smart anymore. Like Nik said, theses companies have years of development behind these programs, the best heads are the ones that are roughed out on the CNC, then then hand ported to finish. 10 years ago if you wanted a head that flowed 320 CFM, you were paying at least 3500 bucks for it. Now, 1900, out the door with one call to summit.