"Best Practice" Head Gasket Swap? Opinions?

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey All,
So I'm working on sorting out a "not finished" 5.0/T5 swap into a 66 Vert and while sorting out the V-Belt vs Serpentine/standard/reverse water pump issues, I noticed that the driver side head gasket was on backwards (gasket tab/square corner protrudes at the rear of the head) and I need to change it before fire up. The passenger side is correct. Heads appear to have been freshly swapped and/or redone. This project was started by some sort of "Mac & Mire For Hire" team and everywhere you look is a mistake or at least a "What The F--K. It's been quite a while since I changed a head gasket and by now the gaskets and other products (sealers, etc) have changed quite a bit. My questions pertain to "best practices" for a trouble free swap. Obviously removal and good cleaning/prep is the first key step. BTW, this is NOT a race car.
Questions:
1>Best head gasket, a brand/part number for a single would be nice as the head gasket sets are so pricey because of all the extra stuff I don't need and I don't need 2 and the header gaskets are new/never been runand I don't need valve seals, yada-yada.
2>Gasket sealer, what kind, on head, on block or both?
3> Which of the head bolts need sealer on the threads? I know at least the front and rear lower. What others?
4>Best intake gasket for a Performer-289 that actually has the coolant crossover passage at the rear. Should I use or bag the end seals and just use a nice bead of black RTV?
I'm not totally an idiot, but am simply looking for opinions/pointers and maybe things I've forgotten on best practices for a job I haven't done in a while.
Thanks For All The Help,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

Summit has the h/g in singles.Either the graphite Q1152 or the cheaper Q93331PT1.I have used them in the past.For intake i like the ones that have the rubber rings or the Felpro Q17360

I only use Gasgacinch and never have a issue

I never use the cork ends seals, just a bead of silicone

My studs never leaked

I did mine the old way using Fel-Pro gaskets. The head gaskets went on dry. I use the cork gaskets on the intake, lots of people dont. I use high tack gasket sealer to "glue" the cork to the block and let it cure. The intake gasket got some Permatex sealer around the water passages. Then I install the intake gaskets and use a tiny bit of sealer where they meet the cork gaskets. Lower the intake carefully and I dont torque all the way. I let it cure some more and do another round with the torque wrench the next day. I had to torque it down several times as things relax.

Yeah,
When I do intakes, I ALWAYS (especially heavy cast iron) put 4 studs in the 1-2-3-4 tightening sequence holes to aid/facilitate trouble free lining up and reduced gasket slippage when dropping it on. I then start all other bolts in their holes before removing the studs, start those 4 bolts and run all bolts in, finger tight, in sequence. Then I torque in at least 3 steps. Never had any intake gasket issues. I will actually be using Mr. Gasket stuff from a complete engine set (#7120) that the customer brought.:rolleyes: He understands that if it leaks it's "his dime for the time".
Thanks for the help Guys,
Gene