Best Rpms For Launch

Max22

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys had a few questions that I figure somebody can answer. First off what RPM do you guys launch at? Next what RPM do you shift for each gear after that? There's a rumor floating around that the 4.6 power drops off after 5k and the last 1k is essentially wasted. And lastly just out of curiousity what chances do I have against a 1985 camaro with a 355 dropped in it? I have a K&N cold air intake, 75mm trick flow throttle body and plenum, and a bassani Catback Xhaust. Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Its probably going to sound like i'm talking out my ass BUT ill try

It really depends on how you drive and what car you have. There all a little different and what works for one mite not always work on another. If its an auto just hold the brake and load up on it a little. As for me and my particular Mustang I like to launch around 2000-2500rpm on the street then baby the gas till it starts to find traction then just go for it... Yes the 4.6 dose seems to lose power after 5k but weather or not to shift really come down to some level of instinct I normally run mine out to 6k because in my mind if I don't ill mess up the power band going into the next gear thats not necessarily true but its just what goes threw my head...

As far as the Camaro goes off hand id say probably not. But once again that just depends on how he has the car setup and how good of a driver he is... Iv seen people go out and buy the best of everything to put in there car and thin go out and get beat by some old guy that put his car together from rusty swap meet garbage. There no substitute for experience.

But at the end of the day your really just going to have to go out and practice and find what works... You can even grab a friend and use a stopwatch to time your runs.

You should also never underestimate the power of B.S. ether he mite say he's running a 355 with X amount of HP but when you go race you mite find its just a old warn out 305 with a fresh coat of paint... It happens all the time LOL

Be specific. Track or street? What tires? Stock suspension?

For your car, I'd say launch from idle and shift around 5200. Feather it out until 3rd, then stomp on the shifts. If you feel any slippage during the first 2 gears, leave the clutch out and peddle the gas as fast as to can until you hook. The name of the game is practice. You need to learn how the car behaves and make corrections

Unfortunately I've seen it up close and it's a recent 355 build with cherry bomb exhaust but pretty much stock for the rest. My tires are 245/45ZR18 Dimex, so nothing special. Car came with lowering springs but I don't know how much it's lowered. And I am talking about street.