Best sounding exhaust?

• Sponsors (?)

The best sounding exhaust is the one that you like the most.

They all sound "good" in their own way. Some people like loud, some like not quite so loud, some prefer quiet like stock.

Magnapacks with an OR X-pipe sound MEAN IMHO. Plus, those systems are all stainless, which is a positive.

of the four different brand i've had, they rank in order -from best to worst- 1 magnaflow catback with a pacesetter x pipe
2 Bassani with a high flow bassani x pipe
3 mac catback with a genereic x pipe
4 flowmasters witha generic x pipe

from my experience if you're looking for a real droney exhaust with a low grumble, flowmaster and bassani are the ticket. if you're looking for a more raspy sound magnaflow and mac will give you that. i have a magnaflow catback on my car now (with the pacesetter x pipe) and it's nice and quiet at low rpms and on the inside, but when i let it rip, the exhaust screams. it doesnt really sound like a 5.0, it kind of has it's own distinct sound. it sounds like there is no restriction whatsoever everyone who's heard it says they love the way it sounds.

Nothing sounds better than original 40 series Flowmaster mufflers on a 5.0. NOTHING.

Thats not to say other setups dont sound good....but original 40 series are the classic 5.0 muscle car sound. Its what every car wishes it would sound like. Mac, SLP, Magnaflow are all great...but there is a reason flowmasters dominated the market since the 80s. And its not for the performance :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Flowmasters do sound great but they are also called Dronemasters for a reason....if you do alot of cruising/driving like I do, you won't like them after a while...with a O/R X-pipe & 40 series flows....mine droned like crazy between 2,000-2,300 rpm's.... that was my exact cruising rpm range & it drove me nuts..
along with listening to sound clips, try to test drive or ride in a few stangs with different setups to see which one you like overall. most setups have really good sound but.....IMO, really loud sounds awesome for a little while, but it gets old quick if you drive alot like I do. just my .02

Flowmasters do sound great but they are also called Dronemasters for a reason....if you do alot of cruising/driving like I do, you won't like them after a while...with a O/R X-pipe & 40 series flows....mine droned like crazy between 2,000-2,300 rpm's.... that was my exact cruising rpm range & it drove me nuts..
along with listening to sound clips, try to test drive or ride in a few stangs with different setups to see which one you like overall. most setups have really good sound but.....IMO, really loud sounds awesome for a little while, but it gets old quick if you drive alot like I do. just my .02

i agree with you. my bassani exhaust cruising between 2k and 3 k sounded like a loud subwoofer just making a constant hum. it gave me a headache and hurt my ears after a while. the flowmaster was the same way. as for the magnaflow exhaust i have...it's quieter then my car was with 40 series flowmasters and the stock h pipe when i cruise

i have the stock shorty headers, O/R H-pipe and SLP LM1 catback and i think it sounds amazing. next to come will be long tubes and a new O/R H-pipe

I have BBK shorty headers, Bassani X with cats and the Borla/SVO side exhaust. It's quiet at speed and has a nice throaty rumble at lower speeds. I'm not one for loud obnoxous exhaust.

when your ready to gain some power and take off that SVO side exhaust let me know i want the side skirts and tips lol

Spintech is a brand that I'm starting to see a lot more on Mustangs. I have a set of their sportsman street mufflers that are going on the Cobra once it's out of the body shop. I did have a set of super pro streets on there before the current flowmasters, but they had a drone that was about ten times worse than flowmaster could ever hope to have. They'd probably sound good with a long tube/x-pipe setup, but they just didn't sound good with my equal length shorties and h-pipe. I've heard a lot of really good sounding cars with the sportsman street mufflers, which is why I decided to go with those.