Best strut tower brace?

• Sponsors (?)

There has always been a big debate as to wheter or not a strut tower brace helps stiffening the chassis. Some people think it is absolutely useless and is only added weight while others swear they noticed the difference right away. Most of the time, people that don't notice have put it on a brand new car that was still in great condition. People that put it on older cars, on the other hand, often say it was well worth it. From what I've read, if your car is relatively new, do not expect a night and day difference, the benefits of such a brace only shows after a few years.

With that said, I would recommend the Maximum Motorsports one. Seems that their design clears most of the aftermarket intakes because no part of the brace passes over the top of the intake manifold. Another advantage of this product is that it attaches to the strongest mounting points of the firewall (the joining of the upper firewall, the lower firewall, and the floor of the cowl) while others attach to the center of the firewall, the weakest and most flexible point. Attaching in this location adds little stiffness, and leads to cracking and tearing of the firewall.

Here is a link to their website, make sure to check out the online catalog section. Hope that helps! :nice:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com

what I would do is go to a junk yard and find a wrecked mustang and take the one off of it. all of the real expensive ones it the exact same design as the factory ones. you could save that money for something else.

tangerine said:
what I would do is go to a junk yard and find a wrecked mustang and take the one off of it. all of the real expensive ones it the exact same design as the factory ones. you could save that money for something else.

No such thing as a factory strut tower bar for 99+ Mustangs as none of them came with one. From his avatar it would appear the thread starter has a 99+ Mustang.

I would have to agree that the MM bar is probably the best design. If you don't already have them I would go with sub frame connectors before a strut tower bar. I think you will see a lot more of an improvement with them than you will with a strut tower bar.

My .02 on the STB. I installed the Steeda and it's probably the only thng I regret doing. Although it made a difference on my vert there are a couple reasons for NOT doing it.

1. It's kind of a PITA to install. Seems simple but it does take some time to line everything up, tap the holes, cut the plastic at the firewall, etc.

2. The Steeda does not clear the Mac CAI I have, so the tube from the MAF to TB had to be modified a bit.

3. Where it attaches to the firewall is pretty thin - I fabricated a brace for behind the firewall to strengthen it.

4. If you don't use threadlocker on ALL of the bolts it will come loose.

5. Probably most importantly, if you plan on doing any other mods or engine work it gets in the way. I've got cams waiting and it will definitely have to come out for the cam swap. Just a pain.

Just some input from someone who's installed one.

Jay

Maximum Motorsports clears the K&N FIPK gen 2 i have, which is one of the largest pipes for an intake. They also have 2 separated braces going to the firewall instead of one. The STB will improve your steering response, not give you better grip, or change weight ratios to make you take turns harder. You just will feel the car move more with the STB. On a drag-devoted car, don't get it. On a daily driver in which you want good feel and know that you'll be safer with better steering...sure go ahead and get it. but I recommend all MM parts.