best subframe connectors?

RosstaGT50

Apr 4, 2005
I think that I have decided to get some subframe connectors and wanted to hear from you all what ones you think are the best. I know that I want to get ones that come with a cross brace kit. Are the full length subframe connectors much better than the regulars? My car is mildly modded and I don't plan on taking it to the track very often if that makes a difference. I just know that I want to stiffen up that chassis. Thanks for the advice

• Sponsors (?)

I got ford racing for 100 bucks. Seem to work fine. Drilled holes and bolt mounted them. I know welding is better but the bolts seem fine. I would buy the summit ones for like 59 dollars and use those. those are what i tried to get but some douchbag at summit sed there was a problem w/ the manufacturer and they wouldnt be carrying them. Needless to say, they are still in there catalogs a ppl have bought them since then. But, I digress, anything will work. Some ppl even make their own, but you can buy them prefabed for much cheaper.

I have used several sets from Holcomb motorsports...you can get em unpainted for around $49.95 they are the outlaw brand........you want unpainted since they are gonna be welded anyway. Just make sure to support the chassis on jack stands (all 4 corners) and weld em in.

tip make sure you get weld in ones and ones with seat frame brackets! I like those best for light weight etc...
holcomb can be reached at 1-800-475- Race
or 1-800-475-7223!

ask for W.L. Baxley and tell em

jackchan said:
Just make sure to support the chassis on jack stands (all 4 corners) and weld em in.

I've read to get it done on a drive-on lift so that the car is supported how it normally will be. I guess if you are going to do it at home, the jack stands would work if you have them all the same level and all, which is common sense I suppose.

I have Global West's on 2 of my coupes. They fit great, don't create any ground clearance issues and look nice when you look under the car.

http://www.globalwest.net/mustang 79-98.htm

Read their subframe section and you will see why I bought them.
They require very minimal welding (unlike some with tons of gussets :rolleyes: )

Definitely get full lengths ... and definitely weld them in ... regardless of where you buy them.

www.maximummotorsports.com
www.steeda.com
www.uprproducts.com

The 3/4 lengths are good, but they still allow more body flex than a full length.

FYI: Cost me $150 to have a performance shop weld them in for me

Good Luck :nice:

mattkimsey said:
Since you wont see the track much, the cheap ones off ebay should work.

My thought is that if down the road he sells the car ... the next guy will probably want full lengths and the hassle of cutting and rewelding can be eleviated.

Here comes the, "Well it's his car." argument :notnice: :D

does anyone know if the upr's come painted or powdercoated? also, how much should I look at spending to get a muffler shop to weld these in for me? I assume the MM ones are gonna cost more since the seat brackets require more welding since they are not fully assembled. thanks

Welded in sub frame connectors are better b/c the bolts tend to rip the chassis after years of launching. I used some heavy guage steel tubing- built my self $15 cost! As long as you have a car lift and a welder its a simple project. And well worth it! As long as the body is not tweeked already.