Best tool for cutting plenum??

Internexus

Founding Member
May 30, 2001
Wichita, Kansas
What would be the best tool for cutting right down the center of the runners on an upper plenum with? I am planning on shortening the intake on my stealth by about 2 inches and am gonna use my 5.0 intake as the guinea pig to learn on :) Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm trying to visualize and am not exactly sure what you mean? Cutting down the center of the runners leads me to believe that you want to cut if starting from the throttle body (assuming it were still installed on the vehicle) opening to the other end and exit at the strut tower and end....which isn't making a lot of sense to me. But if you mean you're wanting to cut it across the runners, from the cowl end to the distributor, like it's traditionally done, I get ya. Anyone I know who has shortened the runner length on their manifolds by cutting them in half across the runners, has used a band saw.

Sorry I forgot the 5.0 plenum is vice versa of the stealths runners lol. Yes I want to go ACROSS the runners from the distributor to the rear of the engine bay. Is a band saw a relatively cheap tool? Isnt that whats used for cutting wood?? :) Thanks!

Yup, you'll most likely have to take it to a machine shop to have it done. I believe you can buy the small ones, I think they start at about $200.00, but I'm not sure if they'd be suitable for cutting something that large? There are different type blades that can be used to cut wood, aluminum, steel, plastic, etc.

I tried to cut one by hand one time useing a hacksaw, but it took forever and wasn't a very clean cut. I'd rather do it in one fail swoop with a bandsaw and have it done right.

Great thanks for the informative reply! I asked my father and we don't have a band saw so I will just have to invest in one I guess and we already have the welding tools for me to practice putting it back together. A lot to be learned! Thanks again!

I'm thinking more towards a sawzall. The bandsaw may be too bulky to get around the runners or plenum as you cut. My Porter Cable only has a 4" x 5" cut opening. I'd probally sawzall the section out and use a belt sander to dress the mating sufaces back up before welding it together.

Jamie

Ranchero5.0 said:
I'm thinking more towards a sawzall. The bandsaw may be too bulky to get around the runners or plenum as you cut.
Jamie
Yeah, that's why I initially suggested that he take it to his local machine shop. I didn't think the home bandsaw you could buy at the hardware store would be big enough to support something that size. Having access to an industrial sized one would be his best bet. I can't remember, but I think I tried the sawzall too, but the plenum was too thick around a few areas (around the mounting area for the plenum cover) for the blade to penetrate all the way through. It's been a couple of years, I can't really remember.

You need to find someone with one of these. I have two cut already that I was going to do something with the uppers but I never got around to it. I have been making holes in one practicing welding (TIG). Maybe I will shorten the other one I have and TIG it back together.
T.J.

oilpan4.jpg

tighole1.jpg

tighole2.jpg

tighole3.jpg

tighole4.jpg