best way to clean parts???

88GTMustang

Oct 31, 2003
LA california
mainly cylinder heads (also oil pan, pump, pickup tube), dont have a parts washer and do not really feel like going to town with 20 cans of brake clean.
something i can pour in a bucket and let the heads sit in? and fairly easy to dispose of? what have you guys used?

They are diiiirty, filled with grease and grime on the outside and a bunch of carbon build up on the inside.

• Sponsors (?)

take em to a do it yourself carwash, spray em down with cans of degreaser, and blast the hell out of them with high pressure water. Gets clean in seconds, and it's not your mess to clean up.

v8only said:
take em to a do it yourself carwash, spray em down with cans of degreaser, and blast the hell out of them with high pressure water. Gets clean in seconds, and it's not your mess to clean up.

Most places have signs stating that this is illegal, so use caution to avoid fines and penalties from the hippies.

I have always used brake clean and paper towels, but I am paranoid about chemicals messing with surface finishes and what not. I don't know what kind of residues an oven cleaner would leave behind. It shouldn't be significant though :shrug:

jason

to tell the truth, when i was 17 i bought like 3 cans of it and whent to down a 2.3 to clean everything up, worked, i had to be carefull around the wires thought, if all eles fails i just cleaned my timing cover with dawn dish soap a brush and the hose....

vristang said:
Most places have signs stating that this is illegal, so use caution to avoid fines and penalties from the hippies.

I have always used brake clean and paper towels, but I am paranoid about chemicals messing with surface finishes and what not. I don't know what kind of residues an oven cleaner would leave behind. It shouldn't be significant though :shrug:

jason

my bro did this with a greasy as hell t5 trans. The owner of the carwash just stood around upset, but nothing he could do about it, no signs.

v8only said:
my bro did this with a greasy as hell t5 trans. The owner of the carwash just stood around upset, but nothing he could do about it, no signs.

No Signs = No Rules

:nice:

But the hippie in me would like to say,
Even though these facilities should have some waste water treatment they usually don't.
Just like storm drains, whatever contaminates this water gets to the fish in the streams, and possibly our drinking water.

Feel free to bash me for being a hippie

you're absolutely right.

after doing this, my bro and I went out and bought a kick ass pressure washer. Then we looked at each other and asked where the hell are we gonna use this?? spraying in the street will go down in the gutters to the ocean, and spraying in my backyard dirt could soak into the water table, nevermind the grease that will be slung everywhere. well ****! Not only the hippie in me popped out, but so did the damn boy scout in me. Well damn these morals, life would be a little easier without them eh?? I'm starting to rebuild a lot of t5's, and am still searching for the fast and easy way to clean parts without spending a billion bucks on a bigtime parts washer.

^^^^LOL
I hate hippies, so it really sucks to find out that I am thinking like one. :nonono:

My father has a parts washer (from NAPA or Schucks) that was less than 200 bucks.

I have used it and it is nice.

jason

Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gasoline, degreaser, power washer. All are good ways of cleaning parts.

I usually buy degreaser and spray it all over the part and let it sit for about 5 mins. Then I power wash it.