Best way to clean your vert top!!!

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I have a yellow stang with a white top, and i've been trying to figure out for MONTHS how to clean the mildew off of it. I have talked to a guy at a top shop, other vert owners, finally I posted to a professional deatiling forum. They told me to get some stuff called "Amazing Roll Off" from a boat supply store. Wet the top down, spray it on, let it soak about 5 minutes, scrub with a nylon brush (like a bathtub cleaning brush) and then rinse it off very well, but you just have to make sure that you use LOTS of water to dilute it enough not to hurt your clearcoat. IT LOOKS BRAND NEW!!!!! I HIGHLY reccomend this to ANYBODY looking to clean their top!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I am glad they helped you out. I always feel like I may seen as a jerk suggesting to ask them and not provide an answer, but I have always been amazed at the tricks professional detailers have to clean things.

I used to think paying a detailer to clean your car was a joke until I saw what they put into a "real" detailing...

Thanks for letting us know the "trick".

I have a tan top and along the rear section, by the windows, it actually gets a little dark.....like he explained, I guess it's mold....I've found things that will clean it off, but keeping it off is another matter. I don't have the time to constantly clean it the way it needs to be done.......plus I'm looking at getting a black top here pretty soon anyway

ChrisYellowV6 said:
I have a yellow stang with a white top, and i've been trying to figure out for MONTHS how to clean the mildew off of it. I have talked to a guy at a top shop, other vert owners, finally I posted to a professional deatiling forum. They told me to get some stuff called "Amazing Roll Off" from a boat supply store. Wet the top down, spray it on, let it soak about 5 minutes, scrub with a nylon brush (like a bathtub cleaning brush) and then rinse it off very well, but you just have to make sure that you use LOTS of water to dilute it enough not to hurt your clearcoat. IT LOOKS BRAND NEW!!!!! I HIGHLY reccomend this to ANYBODY looking to clean their top!!!

Does this amazing roll off stuff work for tan tops as well as white? Will it discolor my tan top at all? I have a problem with mildew despite the fact that every 6 months i scrub my top and reprotect it with raggtopp.

MarvinMyCat said:
Your top actually molds up?!?! Mine is black, and I've never had that problem. Are the different colored tops made from different materials?

Mildew, not mold :p

And you can't see black mildew on a black top....and no they are all made from vinyl.

It says safe for all colors of vinyl, just dont let it touch your clearcoat at full strength, for cleaning paint and clearcoat dilute it 1:5 with water or something. I wont say it lasts 6 months...what do you have that lasts for 6 months? I want that!!!!

ChrisYellowV6 said:
Mildew, not mold :p

And you can't see black mildew on a black top....and no they are all made from vinyl.

It says safe for all colors of vinyl, just dont let it touch your clearcoat at full strength, for cleaning paint and clearcoat dilute it 1:5 with water or something. I wont say it lasts 6 months...what do you have that lasts for 6 months? I want that!!!!

Well, i use raggtopp products and i'm real happy with them. I have a vinyl top, but have used the protectant they make for the cloth top and i actually prefer that better and have gone a year with the top still beading water with 3-4 coats of that protectant on there.

So, will this stuff take ALL of the mildew off and i'll be able to start fresh like a brand new top, apply my protectant and i'll be good to go?? how does this mildew stuff start and why is it so damned hard to get off?

Maybe i'm not letting the raggtopp cleaner soak in long enough.. I just read a website that said 10-20 minutes... the most i've left mine on is 10 probably.. maybe i should let it sit longer?

you can try letting it sit longer. no i can not get every little bit of mildew off of my top...it was htere when i bought it and pisses me off. but the #1 cause of mildew i found out is the dew in the morning.

mildew grows where moisture sits. when it dies it turns black, and aheres to the surface. Thats why its so hard to get off. you can't see mildew while its living, which is also a little known fact. thats why when you clean your top you want to clean it all over.

ChrisYellowV6 said:
you can try letting it sit longer. no i can not get every little bit of mildew off of my top...it was htere when i bought it and pisses me off. but the #1 cause of mildew i found out is the dew in the morning.

mildew grows where moisture sits. when it dies it turns black, and aheres to the surface. Thats why its so hard to get off. you can't see mildew while its living, which is also a little known fact. thats why when you clean your top you want to clean it all over.

good info, i didnt know that... How hard of a bristle brush do you use on the top?? maybe i should use something a bit harder? Stiffer bristles, i mean.